Muzzleloader newbie with questions

Bigsampson556

I drew a Kansas Muzzleloader tag. I bought a encore 50 cal barrel for my TC encore. I want to be able to effectively kill deer out to 200ish yards. Im going to shoot 250 grain Hornady bullets, but my question is that I'm either going to use Pyrodex 50/50 pellets or Triple 7 pellets, how many do I need for this range? 100 grain or 150 grain? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

I drew a Kansas Muzzleloader tag. I bought a encore 50 cal barrel for my TC encore. I want to be able to effectively kill deer out to 200ish yards. Im going to shoot 250 grain Hornady bullets, but my question is that I'm either going to use Pyrodex 50/50 pellets or Triple 7 pellets, how many do I need for this range? 100 grain or 150 grain? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

One pellet is normally equal to 50 grains of black powder and the rifle manufacture should state what is the maximum load in grains.

Most are 100 grain max some are 150 grain max. Go with what the rifle maker states and no more.

I would recommend the Triple 7 over the Pyrodex.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the comment. My rifle says 150 grain max. My question is whether 100 grains enough energy to effectively kill a deer at 200ish yards, or do I need the 150 grains? I'd rather go with 100 since the recoil would be less.

I currently run Pyrodex Pellets but these will be the last I buy. I run 777 granular in my wifes rig and I like that a lot better. I am thinking of converting mine over to BlackHorn though. I need to do a couple of things first so my X150 can do it. I do think for 200 yard shots you would be better off playing around at max load data or at least near there as compared to 100 gr. Do some research here on some past posts. There is some excellent load/bullet information for long range shooting.

Thanks for the comment. My rifle says 150 grain max. My question is whether 100 grains enough energy to effectively kill a deer at 200ish yards, or do I need the 150 grains? I'd rather go with 100 since the recoil would be less.

The pellets are easy and convenient but I prefer granular also for several reasons.

1= I can pick the amount of powder that gets me the best accuracy and performance.(Not necessarily the max load). the granular is easier to ignite and there is a much wider choice
to chose from.

Some of the older rifles have a powder chamber and the pellets don't fit well and can give erratic
results.

100 grains of powder is surely enough, but the longer the range the greater the powder charge should be to get the performance.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with what J E says. You might also want to look at the IMR White Hots. These are pellets and shoot very well. I have been using granular 777, getting real good accuracy, but with what I am seeing out of the White Hots I may be switching. If you don't have a scope try the Leupold Ultimate Slam with SA.B.R. reticule. You can use the calibrated marks and they do work out to 300 yds. You can use 2,3 pellets. Nikon also has a muzzle loader scope also. The buckhorn powder also seems to shoot good but I have not tried it. My friend uses it and really likes it.

I too just got into the "in-line" realm of muzzleloader hunting (long time T/C Renegade shooter) and I have the same rifle as you, 50 cal. T/C Encore. Recently I did a bullet/sabot combo test to find what my rifle liked best and I settled on the Hornady 300 r. .430"/.44 cal. XTP bullet seated in a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot on top of 80 grains (by weight) of Blackhorn 209 with a CCI 209M primer. I get 1" to 1 1/4" groups at 100 yds. and feel that this will be a perfect setup for whitetails. Go over to the Muzzleloader section on this forum and read the "Question. . . .44 or .45 cal. bullets ? ? ?" thread to see my findings. There are also some guys on there that are real helpful. Good luck.

I have a 'tricked out' TC 50 cal that will shoot cloverleafs at a 100 with GRANULAR 777. I have taken 2 deer in the neighborhood of 200 yards, but that would be about my max distance.

I would not be so concerned about how much powder can I burn as the correct recipe that would provide the best accuracy. In reality, most of the powder when charged with max load is never burned anyway.

Love my TC bone collector 50. Black horn 209 120 gr which is max along with what I call the best ML bullet you can get the dead center sabot lead bullet. Accuracy is fantastic as is performance.

I would go with 150 grains for better trajectory but thats me. I am sure 100 should be good enough.

best of luck on your hunt

The most powerful load the gun will take is no good if it is not accurate. I would start at the gun's max charge and work your way back until you see best accuracy.

If all you use is pellets, this limits you as to what charges you can test.

I never made the BH209 conversion before I went smokeless, so my guns are still dialed in with granulated 777. I had two good long range loads for my Omega; 200 Shockwave over 110gr, and 325gr FTX over 325gr (max load). Drop on the loads was very close but wind drift half with the FTX. Both of these loads took deer to nearly 400 yards. The 325gr bullet shot nice groups to 500 yards but I was not going to attempt game at that range.

The Encore is going to be hit or miss. In my experience some of them shot well and some were very finicky. I was always much more fond of solid designs like the Omega over the break actions.

I shoot a CVA Optima with a thumbhole stock. This is my Walmart setup 4-5 pyrodex 30gr pellets Thompson Center 250gr black tip bullets, triple seven primers. Scope is a cabelas muzzleloader series. Typical groups are 1-1 1/2" @ 100yds.

I agree with what most have stated that the accuracy far outweighs the charge. I have a TC 50cal and I play around with bullets powder and primers. I ended up with a Barnes 250gr and 2 777 pellets on a federal primer ended being the most accurate load. I have taken a few does and one really good buck at over 150 yards with no issue. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.