muzzlebrake timing effect accuracy?

fisherman983

had my rifle rebarreld by a "gunsmith" and after some inspecting I can tell that the ports are NOT horizontally level with the action. can this effect accuracy potential.
barrel is a bartlein 3b, 264 win mag and brake is a 4 port lil beast by muzzle brakes and more.
its not "way off" but it was enough to notice at close inspection.

Is it over timed or under? What usually happens is when you take a brake on and off a few times it becomes over timed. That is why I try to under time them about a half of a degree to start with. The way it is won't effect accuracy it's just cosmetics.

Is it over timed or under? What usually happens is when you take a brake on and off a few times it becomes over timed. That is why I try to under time them about a half of a degree to start with. The way it is won't effect accuracy it's just cosmetics.
My best guess is that its under timed. He didn't install/reinstall. He cut the threads, screwed it on and called it good. I'm pretty sure he just eye balled it as good enough.

It shouldn't affect accuracy any which way it's timed, but could blow dust up, and with most brakes putting some downward pressure, could affect recoil management which would affect your ability to accurately shoot

I've had a brake a few degrees off and the rifle still shoots 1/2 moa. It's a 300 Win mag. I have a buddy that bought one of Len's long range rifles in 28 Nosler and the brake on it is not perfectly timed either, but it shoots fine.

If you plan to take it off if its off the amount you state it should easily time to perfect as the surfaces mate together and wear in. There should be no effect onnaccuracy.

I also under time them a bit. The bullet is not in the barrel once the brake starts to come into play. It will have no effect on accuracy. Here is a 1000 yard group a customer just sent me from his 338 edge with a slightly under timed beast brake.
338.jpg

Last edited:
That little bit of timing should not make any difference in accuracy but the length/weight of the break can make a big difference in accuracy because it deals with barrel harmonics. This should not make a difference for hand loaders who work up loads for that particular barrel but if only shooting factory ammo it can make a difference. It is like the effects of those dial in brakes that I believe Browning used called "Boss".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.