Muzzlebrake on muzzleloader?

Mr.Clean

Hey y'all, I recently acquired a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader, and after a bit of range time am pretty satisfied overall with it. However, at max charge with 4 pellets of 777, my shoulder is less than satisfied to say the least. I took it to my gunsmith and he was a little apprehensive about installing a brake, mainly due to fear of what may happen when firing a sabot from the rifle. Anybody got any experience putting a brake on a muzzleloader? Issues shooting sabots afterward? Any other considerations? Things that are required to install a VAIS brake? Thanks!

I saw a guy at the range with on his UML. He was happy. I asked about sabot clogging, he was shooting full bore so had no experience. He shot BH209 and used some sorta funnel that is no doubt expensive and easily misplaced. I've considered going full bore, but I have a feeling my bore is very inconsistent. Loading the sabot, I can feel the diameter varying. I'm concerned that a full bore projectile that loads consistently would shoot inconsistently and vice versa.

I personally don't shoot 4 pellets. I have considered going up to 3x60gr=180. But 150gr w a 290 Barnes hits the shoulder hard enough!

I would share the apprehension of the 'smith about sabots.

However, I want to follow this thread! Keep us posted on what you decide/experience!

It's a .50 cal, I'm not saying he does have access to proper brake, but he does build some pretty impressive rifles, including 50bmg rifles.

I wonder what's about even possibly shooting those new federal bullets with the polymer cup? Or Powerbelt, that would eliminate the sabot. Most brakes I thought work about that .010-.020" above caliber diameter. I wonder how those bullets would preform firing through a brake.

Yup, lots of them have brakes. Any quality gunsmith can install one on a RUM. Its done all the time, rather shooting with sabots or full bore.

Ultimate Firearms Inc utilizes a Harrell's radial brake. If you ever plan to shoot prone, I'd avoid a radial. They kick up dust/dirt and all matter of stuff.

Brakes are loud.

I run an LR Customs T-Rex on mine. A lot of RUM owners use this exact brake.

https://lrcustomsinc.com/t/muzzleloader-brakes

IMG_1759.JPG

That's the one the dude had at the range.
Encore, nice rig!

Thank you.
There's been a little upgrading to that LOL

The RUM and UF rifles without a muzzle brake and with full charges of T7, utilizing a 300gr bullet have recoil that is best explained as.………… VOILENT.

I would never let an inexperienced or recoil shy person shoot my rifle, and actually only a couple that I knew could handle the recoil, ever did. I've heard guys whine about shooting 120grs volume of BH209, saying there was to much recoil. Makes me LMAO. That's like shooting a pop gun.

Put a quality brake on these rifles and start having fun shooting them.

Here's a video of the T-Rex on the end of a Remington Ultimate.

Note that there is absolutely ZERO weight on his lead sled. Its just being used as a full rest with no weight. Check for barrel movement :)

Hey y'all, I recently acquired a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader, and after a bit of range time am pretty satisfied overall with it. However, at max charge with 4 pellets of 777, my shoulder is less than satisfied to say the least. I took it to my gunsmith and he was a little apprehensive about installing a brake, mainly due to fear of what may happen when firing a sabot from the rifle. Anybody got any experience putting a brake on a muzzleloader? Issues shooting sabots afterward? Any other considerations? Things that are required to install a VAIS brake? Thanks!

Many things need to be addressed if/when placing a muzzle brake on a muzzle loader.
Center fire muzzles just don't work very good and may create more problems.

The sabots, the lead, the size and shape of the ports, the location and number of ports, the type of bullets and even the propellant must be considered. your Smith was wise to feel uncomfortable installing a brake intended for a center fire rifle on a muzzle loader.

J E CUSTOM

Many things need to be addressed if/when placing a muzzle brake on a muzzle loader.
Center fire muzzles just don't work very good and may create more problems.

The sabots, the lead, the size and shape of the ports, the location and number of ports, the type of bullets and even the propellant must be considered. your Smith was wise to feel uncomfortable installing a brake intended for a center fire rifle on a muzzle loader.

J E CUSTOM

Custom muzzleloader builders have it down to a complete science. Have one of the custom muzzleloader builders install a brake and there are absolutely zero worries.

While you're at it, if you do so, get rid of the OEM breech plug system and go with the Gen2 system from Arrowhead Rifles.

Either Arrowhead Rifles or LR Customs will get rid of that PITA OEM ignition system and install the Gen2. They both can install you a top quality brake too. No worrying about replacement, gas cutting or leaks. Problems resolved.

Last edited:
My experience with conventional muzzle loaders is that I lost velocity after a certain amount of (conventional) powder. Might want to chronograph yours to see if huge powder charges are really productive.

My experience with conventional muzzle loaders is that I lost velocity after a certain amount of (conventional) powder. Might want to chronograph yours to see if huge powder charges are really productive.

With conventional muzzleloaders you can certainly be correct.
However the RUM and UF rifles are not conventional, but specifically made to shoot very heavy charges and long range. However it also sometimes applies.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.