muzzle loader muzzle brake

my82cam

The idea has come to mind to put a brake on my muzzle loader. Not for recoil, but to divert the smoke to the side, so, I can see where the game runs after I shoot. I have thought about switching to smokeless set up, but it isn't legal where I will be hunting with it. I'm currently using an encore pro hunter and a remy 700ss as a back up. both shot a 1 inch group at 100 yards with a 1x scope. They are set up to hunt in Utah, and I'm using 777 pellets with much success.

The idea has come to mind to put a brake on my muzzle loader. Not for recoil, but to divert the smoke to the side, so, I can see where the game runs after I shoot. I have thought about switching to smokeless set up, but it isn't legal where I will be hunting with it. I'm currently using an encore pro hunter and a remy 700ss as a back up. both shot a 1 inch group at 100 yards with a 1x scope. They are set up to hunt in Utah, and I'm using 777 pellets with much success.

A brake will tame the recoil, but it won't do what you're wanting it to do. I shoot a radial brake and other than recoil, it doesn't let you see any better. I've shot beside shooters with tactical brakes and they have the same issue.

One thing about the tactical brakes (diverting to the side), if you shoot at a range around other shooters, expect some flack from them. Brakes may reduce recoil, but they tend to increase the noise of the shot and pressure to shooters beside you. They are LOUD.

Yeah, I have brakes on some of my magnums and are aware of the noise. I typically shoot on private land, so, flack from others about noise isn't an issues. I was just curious if a 3 port brake would help divert the cloud of smoke to the sides, so, I can better see which direction mr. bull or bambi run after being shot. Figured I would ask before I went through the time and trouble of putting on there to try. Thanks

Sounds like you may be onto something. I don't think Encore realizes this is the mz forum and is quoting his muzzle break experience w/ centerfire.

Only thing that I'm a little worried about is whether or not you have enough meat on your barrel to safely thread it. Maybe you could have your smith port your barrel? Ports or a break may not be enough for pyrodex but I think you'll like your results from buckhorn 209.

A brake will tame the recoil, but it won't do what you're wanting it to do. I shoot a radial brake and other than recoil, it doesn't let you see any better. I've shot beside shooters with tactical brakes and they have the same issue.

One thing about the tactical brakes (diverting to the side), if you shoot at a range around other shooters, expect some flack from them. Brakes may reduce recoil, but they tend to increase the noise of the shot and pressure to shooters beside you. They are LOUD.

I did just that some years back at a club I was a member of. I had my 338 Lapua on the range bench and shooters on both sides. I let that sucker off and got chastized by people on both sides....:D

My bad, the op clearly stated that all he wanted to do was disperse the smoke. What is your experience shooting a side ported muzzle break relative to smoke direction and vision?

I shot beside and with side ported brakes this past spring at the in-line match at Friendship. Other than make me wait until they were through shooting, they couldn't see either...... just to much smoke. By the way, the rifle shooting to my immediate right was shooting BH209 w/side brake.

I shot beside and with side ported brakes this past spring at the in-line match at Friendship. Other than make me wait until they were through shooting, they couldn't see either...... just to much smoke. By the way, the rifle shooting to my immediate right was shooting BH209 w/side brake.

I wouldn't think you'd be able to see hits on paper, but did the break clear enough smoke to see a deer sized target run off?

Although I wasn't paying THAT much attention, I'd say there's no significant difference with BH, BP or T7M that I shoot, as far as any increased visibility after the shot. Now I'm not saying there was no difference, I'm saying there is no significant difference. We're shoot'n propellants that smoke, some worse than others and try as we may, one's vision at the shot will be impaired.

Now if one was shooting a smokeless muzzleloader, then of course things would be much different.

Is there any problems or difficulties loading a sabot and bullet with a brake installed on your muzzleloader?

Is there any problems or difficulties loading a sabot and bullet with a brake installed on your muzzleloader?

No. The brake will be larger than the crown in the barrel. The sabot/bullet should move freely through the brake and stop at the crown. However if you're planning on using loose propellant, then you'll need a method to get the propellant through the brake. I have a small funnel, which I inserted a small piece of clear tubing on, about 2 - 2.5" long.

Myself....... a radial. Tactical brakes will make people dislike you, thoroughly, at any range. Brakes, regardless are loud.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.