Muzzle breaks

alice

I have a savage 116 in 300 win mag and I'm wanting to put a muzzle break on it, it doesn't have a bull barrel on it and I'm wondering is you guys have any suggestions.

I have a savage 116 in 300 win mag and I'm wanting to put a muzzle break on it, it doesn't have a bull barrel on it and I'm wondering is you guys have any suggestions.
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy it! The muzzle brake topic has been covered quite a bit. Search (plenty of information) or look at similar threads below. What is your budget? Is your rifle threaded? Are you looking for self-timing? Good luck!

I have a Holland Radial QD brake on my 300WM and it's an absolute pleasure to shoot. For a sporter weight barrel I'd look at Ross Schuler brakes.

I have a thin barreled 300 RUM mountain rifle that Nate Wright at Muzzle brakes and more supplied for it. It is very effective in reducing felt recoil and he tapered the threaded side to match the barrel contour. He was recommended by members on the forum and only responds to email. A great experience all in all. I believe he has his website up now. The finished product was not obnoxious looking like some I have seen. It is also self tiiming, no shims required

Nathan is quite personable and offers a range of brakes of different sizes. Sometimes the best vendors are the little guys that provide personal service. He responds to emails promptly and may even ask a couple of questions to clarify what your goals are for recoil reduction.
You did not mention if your barrel I already threaded so that would be a starting point.

Huh. I have one in 300WSM. Put a gentry quiet break on it happy to send you a pic. He did great work it's no quieter than any other break it works well though. I prefer side brakes and have several from Nathan. Great work and super effective. You DO NOT NEED A 5 port his 3-4 port work so well. Then again I was shooting my 8lb 338 edge yesterday with no brake.

Use you phone and video the barrel end when you shoot. You may see it bending way down with top port brakes unless you can plug some of the ports to tune it to your load. The iohone in slomo mode works very well to capture this.

I have a 116 Bear Hunter in that caliber, with the factory break.
It is switchable, off and on, with no change in POI.
Not sure if they sell it separately, but might be worth a look.