muzzle breaks

Caleb85

I am looking for a different break that is vary affective and doesn't make me deaf. .it's for my 7mm and 300. I have 3 baffle breaks and I would like to get away from them ( my spotter doesn't appreciate them) any ideas? ...thanks Caleb

Almost all breaks are loud. The slotted breaks usually are a little louder and vent more to the side. Spotter should have ear protection and be behind the gun. That is the best place to see wash and impacts. Matt

Try a Varis. Research shows hat it is not that loud and I can attest personally to this fact.

I have a Gentry brake on my 300 rum. I swear it reduces recoil as good as my baffle break on my 300win and is not extremely loud for the shooter. The Gentry is called a quiet brake, and after shooting a baffled brake it is quiet, ( for the shooter). It is a radial brake with the holes slightly angled forward. The gentry brake does blow dirt when shooting prone, but I typically lay out a canvas manty as my shooting mat when playing around or in a planned extended wolf hide. I have shot it without ear plugs and it is not terrible. Once I shot my baffled brake at a coyote last year without earplugs, and I swear my ears are ringing today from that shot! Terrible noisy that makes me flinch more then the recoil!
Good luck.

I am looking for a different break that is vary affective and doesn't make me deaf. .it's for my 7mm and 300. I have 3 baffle breaks and I would like to get away from them ( my spotter doesn't appreciate them) any ideas? ...thanks Caleb

Don't want to assume anything but have you tried better spotter placement (away from the blast zone, i.e., slightly lower than shooter or behind shooter)?

450x338_q75_zps47499f40.jpg

size0-armymil-55095-2009-11-04-151110_zps21530f8f.jpg

supressor. reduces recoil and muzzle blast

A suppressor is the way to go if it's legal in your hunting area. It's kinda pricey + the $200 tax (IIRC) and a long wait. My friend has the Elite Iron (http://eliteiron.com/elite-iron-suppressors-page2_A.html) for his AR-10 and have to wait for over 6 months. Here in MT, you can only use it for varminting.

Last edited:
Don't want to assume anything but have you tried better spotter placement (away from the blast zone, i.e., slightly lower than shooter or behind shooter)?

450x338_q75_zps47499f40.jpg

size0-armymil-55095-2009-11-04-151110_zps21530f8f.jpg

A suppressor is the way to go if it's legal in your hunting area. It's kinda pricey + the $200 tax (IIRC) and a long wait. My friend has the Elite Iron (EliteIron High Quality Suppressors) for his AR-10 and have to wait for over 6 months. Here in MT, you can only use it for varminting.

+1 on spotter positioning. Spotter should be in shooter's 'shadow', at the 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock position, slightly above the on hand shoulder, about a foot behind the shooter's boots. Feenix's first pic illustrates a left handed shooter with a 308 modified M14, shooter is close up, but muzzle blast is negligible. Had he been shooting anything larger, his position would need to be adjusted. Pic two illustrates excellent position of the spotter for a right handed shooter. Notice also in pic 2 both the shooter and spotter are using microphoned sound dampening headsets. These are very effective. Mr. Feenix, Sir, those are some great illustrative pictures, thank you very much for posting them. I had a Vais on my 300 WM 24" barrel and found it lacking and at the recommendation of another long range shooter went to a Primary Weapons Systems (PWS) Precision Rifle Compensator (PRC). The felt recoil reduction is much less than that I experienced with the Vais, no barrel or sight picture displacement at all and zero ground effect. I use the Horus H-37 reticle and I have absolutely no problems spotting trace or round impact. Like everything else in long range shooting, once you have the basics, everything else is personal preference, so choose what suits you and your shooting requirements. There are several very fine gentlemen on this site who manufacture highly effective muzzle brakes and I would definitely research their products. Just do a search (above in the upper right hand corner of the page) for muzzle brakes. When I can afford it (read... when my wife lets me spend the money! :rolleyes:) I will be purchasing a suppressor. Which ever you choose, be sure to research here using the search function, tons and tons of great information to sort thru. lightbulb Good Luck!

DocB

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

FEENIX brings up a great point here. I have always positioned my spotter behind me just for this fact alone. Muzzle blast is a part of a brake. It's not working up to it's potential if it's minimal. If your looking for a brake that has proven to reduce high levels of recoil (60-70%) and still be "realitively" quiet, I suggest going to a Assassin Brake. J E Custom builds them and has countless examples of how well they work. He can tune them to your load for maximum reduction. He also has a state of the art recoil sled that gives invaluable feedback. He has tested many popular brakes against the assassin. You can see these tests on YouTube. My 13 year old son spots and shoots comfortably all my big bores with assassins on the end of the tube. In fact, all my rifles from 25 wssm to my 375 rum all have them. Try positioning your spotter behind you and a assassin brake. You certainly won't be disappointed.

Jayson

Yes ok guys I understand about putting my spotter some place else. .I was really just seeing what other types of breaks yall are using? I also hunt in a ground blind with these rifles and my 300 blew the plexiglass out of the window on dad's side on the blind ..and he had a 7mm built and is wanting a break but is not sure he wants one as fierce as mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.