muzzle break

beakus33

has anybody made there own break from a blank? i found a few blanks from pacific tool that are already threaded/reamed just need contured and milled/drilled to your liking, i was kind of thinking about getting a few and doing some expermenting,its kind of hard to swallow $150 for something i know i can make at the shop during a few lunches, just dont know the paticulares of size and shape for my 300wm.

I thought about it but then I found Ross Schuler's brakes finished for $40-$45 They are beautiful, very effective and far better priced than the competitions. I spent $225 on my wife's first brake and then did a major upgrade to Ross's $40 brake.

Experimenting is how just about all of the muzzle brakes came about. If you want to do it yourself I'd say go for it. That is one of the reasons I bought a lathe and mill. If you don't want to do it yourself my brakes are less than 1/3 the price you quoted.

I build mine. Basic, accurate machine work. I've found a simple 1/4" three port baffle brake as effective as anything. Clean and simple to machine.

As to the PTG blanks... heck, that's the easy part. ...might as well start from scratch. Milling the baffles, is the tough (if not time consuming) part.

I haven't put a photo on here for ages. Somebody remind me how, and I'll post a pic or two. Can it be done without going through an internet picture host?

Grit,

Below the response screen there is a tab that says manage attachments. You click on that and it pops up with another screen. Clicks the browse button and find the picture (up to 4 or so) and then upload the pictures. After that submit the response.

Nathan

Thanks. Here's a simple, three port, baffle brake. The customer wanted one blended with the barrel. I didn't have one on hand that'd work. I made this one. A brake with more surface area would be more effective. But, this is what the customer wanted. He was pleased.

Attachments

• brake-flush.JPG
    brake-flush.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.