Muzzle break or suppressor ?

GetReel

I picked up a new Rem 700 SPS Tactical (24" sendero profile, crap stock, 6.5 Creed). I have an extra Timney trigger I'm gonna put in and swap the stock. But I picked this up for the sole purpose to shoot the hell out of it and build up along the way. The barrel is already threaded.
I know the 6.5 creed don't have much recoil but I want to get better at following through the shot and watching impacts. So that leads me to my question, Is that easier with a good break or a suppressor? (I have several suppressors currently and a break off a Christensen ELR)

I picked up a new Rem 700 SPS Tactical (24" sendero profile, crap stock, 6.5 Creed). I have an extra Timney trigger I'm gonna put in and swap the stock. But I picked this up for the sole purpose to shoot the hell out of it and build up along the way. The barrel is already threaded.
I know the 6.5 creed don't have much recoil but I want to get better at following through the shot and watching impacts. So that leads me to my question, Is that easier with a good break or a suppressor? (I have several suppressors currently and a break off a Christensen ELR)

A muzzle brake is more effective in recoil reduction than a suppressor.

So do you know much about the Christensen Arms break? Or what's the best one out there?

Yes, I am familiar with CA MBs, radials (not a fan) and side port version. Because yours is already threaded, I would go with self-timing muzzle brakes like the following ...
The ones that are bolded are the ones I own and very please with them. I cannot speak for which one is the best but I have http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/bug-brake-6.5mm.htm on my 6.5 CM and is very effective.

BUG-BRAKE-6.5MM-2T.jpg

but because it is the same thread and clearance, I can also use a 4-port beast brake off my .264 WM

4-port beast brake 1 of 2.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Brakes are the best at reducing recoil. Anybody that thinks a suppressor is better has either never compared the two or they never used a real brake.

Try testing both options, if threads are same, and decide which YOU prefer.
What dok7mm said.

Brakes typically reduce felt recoil Better.

In this case this 6.5 Creedmoor rifle may not have a stiff recoil impulse? I could spot hits easily with mine unbraked.

The concussive blast & Loud noise effect of a brake can effect the shooter follow through adversely. Anticipating blast.
flinching, jerking Trigger pull, closing eyes, loosing sight picture briefly, etc.

You may experience better "Shot Follow through" & "Spotting of Impacts" by using your suppressor As they don't add The
Concussion/Noise effect to the shooter.
While still adding some level of recoil reduction.

Try em both & let us know Your experience.

ETA: There are other Shooter technique skills & Equipment Design & function items to consider in regards to Follow thru & spotting impacts.

Last edited:
Yes, I am familiar with CA MBs, radials (not a fan) and side port version. Because yours is already threaded, I would go with self-timing muzzle brakes like the following ...
The ones that are bolded are the ones I own and very please with them. I cannot speak for which one is the best but I have http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/bug-brake-6.5mm.htm on my 6.5 CM and is very effective.

View attachment 196688
but because it is the same thread and clearance, I can also use a 4-port beast brake off my .264 WM

View attachment 196689

Hope this helps. Good luck!
You really can't go wrong with anyone listed there & there are a cpl others that I'm abit surprised are not mentioned. I ran across Nathan Wright on YouTube doin my due diligence before buying myself a new brake for my .45 Paramount muzzleloader. I liked the heck out of Nathan right off the bat & he did a fantastic job with the 1pc 5 port Titanium Beast Brake =3oz. He threaded it to 3/4x24tpi chamfered it to my barrel dia I gave him, Cerakoted it & shipped it TMD for 187.50 & I had it in no time. The brake performs incredibly & looks amazing, like it actually belongs on the barrel. It cost me another 150.00 plus shipping to get my barrel threaded, braked timed & bored out to accept the SS load thru funnel. Well worth every cent! Shooting a 275gr Fury bullet behind 150+gr BH 209 at just under 2500fps I can now shoot all day & stack bullets at 200yds so recoil management is not a prob any longer. When I get myself a .45 & .40 SML's they will also have Beast Brakes on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.