Muzzle break opinions

danacobb

Hello gang,

Just wanted to get some opinions on muzzle breaks. Pros and Cons. Suggested manufactureres.

Thinking of puting one on my Model 70 Featherweight 270WSM

Thanks,

Put a slim line break on my 6 3/4 pound 300WBY. Superloud, lots of muzzleblast but don't get blurry eyed after shooting anymore. Also groups went to 1 inch at 100 yards no problem, don't even shoot off a bench just stumps and stuff. Makes gun longer though, had to either put one on or sell it, glad I put one on. Don't know what kind it is, but its got lots a holes in it and its at least two inches long. Advice don't shoot beside someone, some ignorant blast, makes em deaf quick, I also put earplugs in before I shoot it.

Camoman

I agree with you on the need to wear earplugs. However, it always amazes me when people talk about needing ear protection with brakes but apparently don't use protection when firing a rifle without a brake.

How do the rest of you feel about the need for ear protection with un-braked guns?

Cobber,

Unless you know you will always use ear protection.. even hunting.. make sure you get a threaded break that you can replace with a thread protector cap when hunting.

Breaks are very loud.. but really do help you when on the bench.

When hunting I rarely notice the recoil or the noise as the adrenalin is usually pumping.

Len

I always use ear protection, I usually carry plug when hunting LR. When hunting SR my rifle has a barrel w/out the break and the noise is not that noticable.. especially for just 1 shot
wink.gif

I am quite fond of my Vais breaks. They are effective,..and can be turned down to match the barrel perfectly. The cost is decent as well.

2 years ago I had my hearing tested at work. After the test they asked me if I did a lot of shooting. I have hearing loss in both ears from shooting. I started shooting before I was 10 and got my first high power at 13. Started wearing hearing protection at about 25 because after an hour or so at the range my ears were ringing. I am 33 and have significant hearing loss. Save your ears. Use hearing protection. All my shooting has been done without muzzlebrakes.

Cobber, muzzle brakes work to reduce recoil but do so by venting gases and noise "towards" the shooter. The perceived blast can and will lead to hearing damage.

For shooting off a bench or situations where you can wear good hearing protection, they are wonderful. For still hunting, forget it. The damage from one shot could be permanent. No game is worth going deaf over.

So if the rifle recoils too much to be used effectively, change to a smaller cartridge and different bullets. There is no need for mega magnums anymore with the premium bullets now available. Get a combo that you can shoot without a muzzle brake.

I use muzzle brakes on my beanfield 30 Gibbs but always wear ear muffs. The best I have found are by Howard Leight and are called Leightning, rated at 31dB. Good stuff.

Muzzle brakes that have a lot of holes around the circumferance all work about the same. Those that have ports or fish gills can be more effective if the surface area is large enough. The most effective brakes can be found on 50BMG with the Armalite version being one of the best.

Jerry

Working around jets as I do hearing protection is a must. The harmful effects from jet engines and shooting are about the two quickest ways to loose hearing. Repeated exsposure at these high decibles only takes a short time period for permanant damage to occur.
I wear hearing portection shooting and hunting in any situation.

Thanks for the comments guys.

The recoil isn't that bad for my gun. The only problem is self induced as sometimes I'll shoot 30 - 40 rouds and I'll feel it the next day. I wear hearing protection when shooting, but don't need the extra blast. The rifle holds 1" groups at 100yds, so I won't be puting one on.

Thanks
Cobber

[ 12-16-2003: Message edited by: Cobber ]

In today's game there are electronic ear-muffs that do a great job at cutting noise and still being able to hear your quarry.
I wear Peltors Tac7 ear-muffs but plan on getting their slim line model Tac6 for hunting. They have one other slimline model but I haven't been able to find it.

You cannot generally take a muzzle brake off and put a thread protector on and keep the same zero. When the protector is put on you need to recheck your zero!!!

I went to the brockman site and looked at their $99 range finder. Anyone used one of these? Do they work ok?

I haven't used their model but I used to have an optical one like that. For long range work you allmost need a laser rangefinder. Much more accurate and user friendly. I vote for a Leica 1200 scan. I wish they would bring out a 1500 scan soon.

Repeated exsposure at these high decibles only takes a short time period for permanant damage to occur.
I wear hearing portection shooting and hunting in any situation.

Daveosok makes a good point, and a good suggestion too. I'm guilty of not using any in the field when it's a shoot fast type deal, as I'm sure many do as well. It's important to understand that it has a cumulative effect though, and every time you don;t have protection on, it does cause more hearing loss.

I worked with an older gentleman who drove truck too, his hearing was real, real bad. If he was walking away from you, and you tried to get his attention, you'd better hollar, cause he'd never hear you unless you did, and a lot of times you had to hollar to him even louder.

Even talking to him face to face you had to talk super loud. He refused to wear hearing aids, which he was supposed to by law when he was on the road or on a fork lift. Jim's one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet, and it was sad to see the difficulties he had becuase of his hearing, it makes me think of mine every day. He's still a hell of a hunter, but he does it all by sight... this is a fact.

I like the design of the Holland Quick Discharge Brake, especially if you use a bipod like I do. It's very effective too.

I do believe it's a bit easier for most anyone to shoot a rifle more accurately with a brake on it. Some people have a very difficult time fighting a natural reaction to recoil, same with muzzle blast. It's far easier to deal with working up to heavy recoil gradually, smaller cartridges and muzzle brakes help immencely until you get the mind over matter sorta thing worked out.

I'd go with a threaded on type for sure. If you can manage the recoil without one and you hunt up close without hearing protection at times, this is a big plus!

Ha! I have a 454 Casull, ported, and I refuse to fire it without protection unless I'm being charged by a friggin BB... PERIOD! Makes ya feel like your ears is friggin bleeeeedin!!
shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.