muzzle brakes

skandlus

so what are some good brakes and give me an example of a crappy ones... how do you know if one is good or not? what are great brake parameters?

Well since know one has commented I'll give a crack at it:)
In my opinion a bad break is one with a radial design I hate this kind because it blows debree all over you and your rifle after it parts your hair and flipps your eyelids:D

A good example of the right kind of break is simply a Defensive Edge break or some call this design a Tank style break these are the most affective concerning recoil and when well constructed they don't give you all the muzzle blast in the face. This break turned my 300 Rum loaded with a 210 Berger into a .243 recoil I could shoot round after round with nothing but a T shirt on .

Just my .02

Good luck get a DE break and you want be sorry:)

Well since know one has commented I'll give a crack at it:)
In my opinion a bad break is one with a radial design I hate this kind because it blows debree all over you and your rifle after it parts your hair and flipps your eyelids:D

Now to just give another opinion :D

Love the Holland Radial Brake. I shoot it on the 338 Lapua Ack Imp with 300s at 2975 and has not blown debris on me once or parted my hair and yes I still have hair, and super easy even in my Tshirt too.

My advice to bigbuck is to remember to not put your head over the muzzle front and it will not part your hair and to clean the muzzle of dirt/debris after sticking it in the dirt before pulling the trigger.:)

Ok, for a LR/tactical rig shooting from the ground, the brake cannot have any holes on the bottom so has to vent out the sides and top only. that leaves out the ones that have holes all the way around such as the Vais and Harrels etc. They are super effective from a bench, but will blow dirt up.

Lot of decent ones and DE Edge and Holland QD and Radial are both very good.

BH

Last edited:
Now to just give another opinion :D

Love the Holland Radial Brake. I shoot it on the 338 Lapua Ack Imp with 300s at 2975 and has not blown debris on me once or parted my hair and yes I still have hair, and super easy even in my Tshirt too.

My advice to bigbuck is to remember to not put your head over the muzzle front and it will not part your hair and to clean the muzzle of dirt/debris after sticking it in the dirt before pulling the trigger.:)

Ok, for a LR/tactical rig shooting from the ground, the brake cannot have any holes on the bottom so has to vent out the sides and top only. that leaves out the ones that have holes all the way around such as the Vais and Harrels etc. They are super effective from a bench, but will blow dirt up.

Lot of decent ones and DE Edge and Holland QD and Radial are both very good.

BH
I'll try to remeber your advice BH:rolleyes:
Does your Holland have holes in the bottom?
Do you always shoot from the bench?
I haven't shot any radial break that does not throw muzzle blast into my face,but I will admit that I've never shot a break like yours either who knows maybe you have the one and ONLY:D

Bigbuck

I'll try to remeber your advice BH:rolleyes:
Does your Holland have holes in the bottom?
Do you always shoot from the bench?
I haven't shot any radial break that does not throw muzzle blast into my face,but I will admit that I've never shot a break like yours either who knows maybe you have the one and ONLY:D

Bigbuck

Nope no holes on the bottom.

Nope, shoot all the time from 6-9 Harris bipod. How much lower do you want?:D

New Holland radial works great and plenty more where that one came from!

Here is a pic http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/snake-2-338-lapua-ack-imp-41682/

BH

I think when BB said radial he meant 360 degree holes (like Vais) not Holland radial. I agree with what both of them are trying to say no holes on the bottom baffle style break IE Holland or DE style are the way to go.

I think when BB said radial he meant 360 degree holes (like Vais) not Holland radial. I agree with what both of them are trying to say no holes on the bottom baffle style break IE Holland or DE style are the way to go.

Definitely agree on that then. NO holes on the bottom for guns shot on the ground!

Lot of good designs on LR and hunting brakes.

BH

Sorry guys that's what I was meaning 360 degree holes I should have been a little more clearer.

Bounty Hunter 6-9 should be low enough:)
your break looks alot like shawns I was thinking it was a design like the ones that come on the factory WBY'S this style sucks once you have sat down behind a DE or similar. Oh I almost forgot I keep several Qtips in my pack to clean my break befor every shot ;-)

Bigbuck

Last edited:
I have a aps painkiller (small ) turns a wild cat magnum into a pussycat for recoil, three large ports each side and three circular hole on top no bottom holes. I could shoot it all day and would like to, but those darn barrels cost to much

I'm thinking about an APS Painkiller medium and was wondering does anyone know whether it will accomodate a .900 muzzle diameter? or does muzzle outside diameter even matter?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.