Muzzle brakes...

If you have ever worked with explosives you can see the pressure wave that comes from a large charge . On a humid day from a distance you can watch as the blast will condense the moisture in the air for a split second in a growing circle . Smaller blasts from a rifle do the same thing on a smaller scale .

I'm running a vias brake on a 9 pound 30 nosler.

It's just enough recoil reduction for repeated load work from the bench without excessive noise or blowback. It's what I wanted and what my smith suggested. No issues with shooting prone as well with it.

View attachment 210184
X2
I'm running a vias brake on a 9 pound 30 nosler.

It's just enough recoil reduction for repeated load work from the bench without excessive noise or blowback. It's what I wanted and what my smith suggested. No issues with shooting prone as well with it.

View attachment 210184

concussion hurts after having some close explosions your insides hurt and the next day you will be sore all over . You will see people with internal head injuries from it . I have seen where people and animals were just dead showing no signs of injuries to the out side of the body from concussion . If you are receiving sinus damage you also are receiving some amount of trauma to your brain...

From the age of 19-23 I was subjected to violent explosions on a regular basis. We used double hearing protection and and cover to dodge concussive blasts and wore masks for gases and dust. Many times a failure to make the right choice got you laid out. BTW nose bleeds do indicate cranial trauma. Tinnitus by 35. Concussion is a B!t@h!

And the old timers laughed at you if you wanted protection all the while saying huh want did you say , I forgot what it was I was supposed to be doing . The pro foot ball players are finding out about T B I 'S .

I was in the army in a "developing" county. Whether we shot Enfields, Garands, AKs, 30 and 50 caliber Brownings, we never wore protection. We didn't know any better, we weren't offer any. It was not until I came to the USA that I learned about them. Now, in Order to save what hearing I have left, I ware double. In the ear and over the ear.
I also like to protect my shoulder, so put a muzzle brake on almost all my rifles. Except the collector ones and the 30/30 Lever.

I just added a Gentrys Quiet Brake to a M70 Extreme Weather in 6.5 Creed. My lack of friends requires I spot my own hits and I felt like I need just a bit less jump. I have been shooting it next to the other brakes I have on higher volume cases so I do not have apples to apples to make a comparison, but. It does provide the reduction I was hoping for and it does seem like you don't "feel" the shots from a concussion standpoint. Probably not the brake for a thumper, but perfect on medium sized cases and comparatively pleasant to shoot.

Last edited:
We are most of us about safety and hearing good after we get done shooting as well as comfort when we are shooting . Not many people that I know enjoy pain . Some of us just don't realize that we are hurting ourselves un-till much latter in life . That is why I am wanting to learn more about the different muzzle breaks so I can look at getting one that helps with recoil and doesn't rip my ear drums out and through them on the ground . I had one on a 7mm rem mag 25 years ago that was a bad experience even with ear plugs if you shot it and had anything beside or above you it made your ears hurt as well as your shoulder . I got the barrel changed out to a 7mm dakota and gave it away .

We are most of us about safety and hearing good after we get done shooting as well as comfort when we are shooting . Not many people that I know enjoy pain . Some of us just don't realize that we are hurting ourselves un-till much latter in life . That is why I am wanting to learn more about the different muzzle breaks so I can look at getting one that helps with recoil and doesn't rip my ear drums out and through them on the ground . I had one on a 7mm rem mag 25 years ago that was a bad experience even with ear plugs if you shot it and had anything beside or above you it made your ears hurt as well as your shoulder . I got the barrel changed out to a 7mm dakota and gave it away .[/QUO
'
Forget about firing a gun, any gun, without hearing protection. All guns are loud, even suppressed guns.

I answered my own questions. I found a test
ASD: thanks for the link to Cal Zant's article. (I haven't seen that one.) He is a brilliant scientist and lucid writer.
I always learn valuable information from his articles on PrecisionRifleBlog.com

I haven't read all the responses, so I apologize if this is a repeat post. Gentry Custom has a Quiet Muzzle brake that the ports are angled just a little bit forward. I've never shot it, but they say it angles all the blast away from the shooter.

I haven't read all the responses, so I apologize if this is a repeat post. Gentry Custom has a Quiet Muzzle brake that the ports are angled just a little bit forward. I've never shot it, but they say it angles all the blast away from the shooter.
Interesting. Wouldn't that increase recoil?

Interesting. Wouldn't that increase recoil?
No, it would still reduce recoil, just not as much as most brakes. The gas is still pushing the rifle forward, but instead of having a flat surface to hit and push directly, they hit a slightly angled surface and are able to deflect a little. Basically, giving up a little bit of recoil reduction to reduce concussion and noise. Always a trade off. They claim up to 85% recoil reduction, but I don't see anyway that's even close to true. I'd guess about 30-40%, assuming most brakes can reduce around 50%.

It passes the common sense test, too. If the brakes that are angled back towards the shooter are the ones that have the most concussion, the ones that are angled away should have less.

I have seen one guy that had what looked like a suppressor on his rifle but the end was open and it didn't have any baffles . He said there was no reduction in recoil that it just channeled the sound and gas's forward more for use under the roof over the benches for his and others benefit . That was interesting to me . I wonder what would the out come of putting a shield around a brake be like ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.