Muzzle Brakes

K9TXS

I'm looking at muzzle brakes right now for a 20 Vartarg I'm gathering parts for. There is minimum recoil on the 20VT, however I've read where so shooters were having a little problem seeing their hits/missing at closer ranges until they put a muzzle brake on.

I like the Holland radial brakes, but they are a little $$ and then you have to have a smith install it to time it to the barrel.

I also like the Quick Fire Muzzle Brake from Mac's Gunworks. The draw back I see on the Quick Fire is it has a timing nut that is exposed. You set the brake where you need it and then run the nut up to it to lock it in place. I think this would work great, I just don't care for the look of the nut.

I don't have a mill to shave a little off at a time for the Holland brake to get it timed right, so is there another way to set up a brake that has to be timed to the barrel?

The reason I like these two brakes is you don't have the blast going downward that will blow up debris.

I don't know if Darrell is making a self-timing brake yet or not. You would need to give him a shout about that.
I use Darrell's and Chuck's brakes myself. I do not have one of the self-timing ones, but a couple of my friends do.

Timing something like a non self-timing brake is a matter of shaving off the shoulder on the brake. This can be done on a flat surface with varying grades of emory paper and similar. It takes great care to keep the shoulder perpendicular to the bore centerline, but I have done similar work and it can be done. For a flat surface I'd assume no lapping plate or iron surface plate is available (don't even consider it on granite!) so the easiest and least expensive is a thick piece of 12" x 12" glass from McMaster-Carr. Work the brake in a figure 8, NOT in a circle! Would make a good winter project as progress will be slow.

I'm looking at muzzle brakes right now for a 20 Vartarg I'm gathering parts for. There is minimum recoil on the 20VT, however I've read where so shooters were having a little problem seeing their hits/missing at closer ranges until they put a muzzle brake on.

I like the Holland radial brakes, but they are a little $$ and then you have to have a smith install it to time it to the barrel.

I also like the Quick Fire Muzzle Brake from Mac's Gunworks. The draw back I see on the Quick Fire is it has a timing nut that is exposed. You set the brake where you need it and then run the nut up to it to lock it in place. I think this would work great, I just don't care for the look of the nut.

I don't have a mill to shave a little off at a time for the Holland brake to get it timed right, so is there another way to set up a brake that has to be timed to the barrel?

The reason I like these two brakes is you don't have the blast going downward that will blow up debris.
Have the muzzle threaded first and go from there. An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes, reduction of felt recoil and reduction of muzzle rise. The latter is often overlooked.

Here's my list of self-indexing MBs.

Last edited:

Not the best look but shims can be used. Most QD mounts/brakes for suppressors use shims. They're available in a pack with miscellaneous sizes. I've used SilencerCo and Silencer Shop shims and they're OK. I'd also suggest taking a look at PiercisionRifles self timing brakes. I'm using his muscle break on a 300 Norma and it works very well. I also noticed folks using them on 6mms at a recent PRS match.
Good luck.

You can also time them with shims of various thicknesses like the shims used on supressor brake/adaptors.
You have to have a barrel vise as well to get it torqued up properly.

Check out precision armament hyper tap. Love this one!!

I have two brakes from muzzle brakes and more and they are fantastic. One is the two piece self-timing and the other is regular. I put it in my 10 year olds 6.5 cm and it basically has zero recoil. He sure loves to shoot that gun!

Check out precision armament hyper tap. Love this one!!
How is the concussion on the Hypertap? I have thought about running one on a rifle I'm building but I HATE concussion. I have a Lil B* 3 on a rifle that works extremely well without the concussion but like the smaller Hypertap for this build. I have heard they work well but with pretty nasty blowback/concussion.

If you want a good brake that does not have the concussion, Holland's Radial Baffle, is a great brake.
it is not a self timing brake though