Muzzle Brakes with angled ports?

Don - In Idaho

I am looking for a muzzle brake with rearward angled ports on the sides mainly, none on the bottom, a few holes on the top would be OK, to be used on various rifles from 22-250 up through 338 LM. Not interested in brakes with ports at 90 degrees to the bore line.

Any web links or photos of what is out there would be appreciated. The closer to the design of the Serbu Shark brake the better.

Thanks for the link, but, unfortunately there were no brakes in that link that I could find with ports venting rearward. I do think that the Holland brake, if the vents were angled rearward would work well.

I am aware of the Armalite AR-30 brake, which is an option I am considering but would prefer one that is like the Serbu BFG brake but downsized to fit smaller diameter muzzles on 338 tubes. Based on my own experience, the BFG Shark brake is as close to perfect as you can get on a 50 BMG. Substancially less gas in the face of the shooter than the Armalite but only slightly less efficient in recoil reduction.

I am not even remotely interested in any brakes that vent at 90 degrees, as all they do is cancel out the thrust from the gas venting forward. They don't utilize the jetting gas force to further reduce felt recoil by counteracting the rearward movement of the rifle.

I am frankly perplexed by the thought process that goes into making a brake that vents the gasses to the front. That type of venting is in fact counterproductive, actually adding to the felt recoil / rearward movement of the rifle.

I have talked briefly with Mark Serbu about producing some scaled down versions of his Shark Brake. If anyone is interested in getting one, let me know. It will be a long wait I am sure, he is a busy man.

You might be able to get some of the gunsmiths to build you a holland style with the rear facing ports. Kregg Slack makes some holland style brakes.

If you mean the 90 deg brake like a KDF style, then yes, there are much better alternatives. The Holland, or Serbu brakes are what I called baffled brakes. Each port also acts as a 'sail' allowing the gases to push the rifle forward.

So what you are looking for, gas diversion and forward arrest, will come from these baffle style brakes. My favorite is the Micaluk AR15 style. Wider then the Hollands, they work on the same principle. The wider brake just allows the gas to do more work. Well priced too. I use mine on a 7RM light hunting rifle and can spot my own shots.

A rear venting brake will do a little more work then a 90deg baffle brake. You could always have one made. Just set up the bore as any other but mill the ports angled backwards.

Unless, you make a much wider brake, not sure how much more recoil reduction you will get. Even a Lapua doesn't have much gas volume when compared to a BMG. It is this volume of gas at pressure that will do the work.

If you do figure out a way to make a rear baffle brake, please post your results. Would be interested in the recoil reduction vs muzzle blast.

Jerry

S1 at AR Tactical also makes an excellent muzzle brake. He has 2 or 3 different designs and they work very well. I can email you a picture of the brake, I am unable to post the picture. Some of the other brakes work nicely as well, but his is a high end product.

Email me if you would like to see PICS of the brake.

Frank D

demarpaint (at) aol.com

Here's a picture of a muzzle break I cut on the wire edm. [image][/image]
The pop can is for size comparison. Very effective gun does not have recoil pad on it. Wire edming is by no ways economical but I just happen to have one at work. I think it took around 6 to 8 hours burn time. The interior is tapered big at the muzzle to small at the muzzle break end allowing gases to expand somwhat.
The angled "fish gills" are 5 degrees for the first set at the barrel muzzle end, then 10 degrees and finally 15 degrees.
As you may see the left side is a tad bit bigger. The wire broke on the wire edm and it will rethread itself and I wasnt their to watch it. What had happened was one of the slugs pinched the wire and moved the fixture and muzzle break and when it rethreaded it cut a tad bit bigger. I aint to worried about it this rifle has shot 1 inch groups at 300 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.