Muzzle brakes on ARs

J E Custom

The question often comes up and I had always thought they didn't need them. Only hard kicking rifles did
but the advantages of a brake can improve the total performance of the rifle and the shooter (Something we are all interested in.

After doing some extensive testing I have changed my mind, (Rare for an old guy set in his ways)

Recoil has never been an issue with me until it approached or exceeded 80+ ft/ lbs.

Muzzle flash has also not been an issue because the animal is not shooting back. But having a simi
auto for quick follow up shots muzzle control is always an issue for me and on the larger calibers that the AR 15s and AR 10s can handle it realy helps if you can remain on target while shooting.

The attached Video will show that a brake can help even the 223/5.56 calibers to handle better.

There are other good examples on You Tube if interested

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a long time Law Enforcement officer and said the same thing. Then I shoot one. We have used AR-15 platforms for about 15 years. Some of them will ruin your night vision. I run a Bravo Company Mod-1. It does a great job. Wait till you try a mid length gas sytem on a car.

I'll put a muzzle brake on any center rifle I own. I don't care what caliber it is. I like being able to spot my own shots. My current AR15 doesn't have a threaded barrel so I'm limited to clamp on brakes. My next upper will have a threaded barrel for sure.

Definitely agree with ReelDawg, I use the Bravo Co. Mod 1 on all of my AR's as well. Its night and day, so much better with the break on it. I have it on my .308, 6.8 SPC, and5.56. Building another one now and already bought the Mod 1 for it. You will definitely see a difference on many rifles with a muzzle break it helps keep your rifle on target and helps with your night vision as well. I spent 15 years in the Army, with 2 tours in Iraq so I know that a break/flash hider works! Hope that helps.

Nice video and test! Certainly very pertinent for those concerned about recoil. I would suggest that a far bigger benefit of a well designed brake on an AR platform is quicker and more accurate follow up shots. The ingenious mounting device in the video, with the rifle strapped in like it is, takes all of the muzzle blast and forces the gun to react in a straight rearward direction. In real life your are going to get muzzle rise as well as rearward recoil. A well designed brake will not only redirect the gasses to the sides and back but up so that muzzle rise is greatly reduced. If I am shooting a 300 win mag yeah, I want the recoil reduced, but if I am shooing an AR-15 I want to break that 2nd, 3rd and 4th shot as quickly and accurately as possible. I have tried eight to ten brakes on the AR platform and the two I find the best for competitive shooting are the Ops Inc and the SJC. Most competitive events have rules about muzzle devices and both the SJC and Ops Inc work within most rulebooks. I also really like the little Nordic Components brake for size/effectiveness/price balance. For those looking for suppressor adapters that are also muzzle brakes you cannot beat the SureFire line of muzzle brake suppressor adapters.

threaded a .243 barrel this summer best 165 bucks I ever spent.

I'm considering my AR now, I bought a VAS break from Brownell in 6MM the muzzle blast is only bad at the sides I barely noticed a change from behind the barrel.

Now recoil I spot my shots, I can shoot the gun 1 handed its kicks less than the AR even with max load rounds and its so much fun to watch stuff turn to vapor when I pull the trgger.

I shot with a friend and he couldn't believe the gun he even tried to get his very small 10yr old to shoot it. his arms weren't long enough for the Hogue over mold stock

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.