Muzzle brakes for 338 Edge

Coldfinger

Looking for real world experience into the realm on muzzle brakes. I'm shooting a 11 pound rifle totally ready to go. It currently has a Red Hawk Rifles 3 port varmint brake on it which is a significant improvement to the radial brake pacnor built for it. I don't have much knowledge into the realm of brakes. 8 shots yesterday off a bench rest was enough due to recoil. With the radial brake it used to knock my ear muffs off. Any better ideas for a brake?
My load is Norma 300 Rum brass, Fed 215 gmm primers, 97 grains of H1000 and 250 grain Sierra mk @ 3100 holds 1/3"-1/2" @100 yards

Use Terminator T4 , Fat Bastar* Gen 3 , MBM 5 port on my Lapuas. Like the FB tuning ability but not pretty. T4 best but big, MBM 1/2 price of other two.

Looking for real world experience into the realm on muzzle brakes. I'm shooting a 11 pound rifle totally ready to go. It currently has a Red Hawk Rifles 3 port varmint brake on it which is a significant improvement to the radial brake pacnor built for it. I don't have much knowledge into the realm of brakes. 8 shots yesterday off a bench rest was enough due to recoil. With the radial brake it used to knock my ear muffs off. Any better ideas for a brake?
My load is Norma 300 Rum brass, Fed 215 gmm primers, 97 grains of H1000 and 250 grain Sierra mk @ 3100 holds 1/3"-1/2" @100 yards
Area 419

I personally have a 338 lapua Ai 10 pounds ready to hunt. 300 gr. bergers at 3000 FPS. The APA fat bastard makes the recoil tolerable!

If we can help you with your needs let me know!

I went with a 4 port Muscle Brake on my 12 lb 338 Norma and its nice to shoot. No felt gases on the shooter. I've since switched to a Silencer Co ASR 3 port brake to use with a suppressor and its still easy to shoot.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brakes mentioned so far

Last edited:
I am in the process of building a 338-378 for a hunting rifle. They have a fairly robust recoil profile so being able to balance recoil reduction with noise is very useful. The Seekins and the Tridelta will be good options. The APA and Alamo Four Star provide more recoil reduction, so for a target rifle that would probably matter most but for hunting the time back on target, ground effect, and noise effect on the shooter and those around them matter too.

Here is a link to the full set of tests

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

Muzzle-Brake-Loudness-Rating-vs-Recoil-Reduction-Rating.png

Muzzle-Brake-Field-Test-Summary.png

Quote Reply