Muzzle brakes badly botched, what to do.

Supposedly he specializes in custom rifles: Home Page

You're right though, just about every single step was messed up on these things. 3 of these are fluted barrels and I just noticed that they are not timed correctly. Either he didn't torque them down enough or he screwed up the brake timing and just unscrewed the barrel a bit to compensate. The actions and brakes line up well but the barrels are out by 3-4 degrees.

Remingtons barrels, from the factory, can be out that much. If this guy gave up an "engineering business' to become a gunsmith,,,,,,, wellll,,,,,, he must not have been much of an 'engineer', either....

What a mess, honestly there is no way I'd put a bullet through them, if there that bad on the outside and you know he just drilled it out I will bet a box of donuts that he didn't even dial in on the bore of the barrel. The man has zero pride in his work, period!

Supposedly he specializes in custom rifles: Home Page

You're right though, just about every single step was messed up on these things. 3 of these are fluted barrels and I just noticed that they are not timed correctly. Either he didn't torque them down enough or he screwed up the brake timing and just unscrewed the barrel a bit to compensate. The actions and brakes line up well but the barrels are out by 3-4 degrees.

I feel timing brakes perfectly is probably the most difficult part. I would be surprised if he got that right after falling short on everything else. If he untorqued the barrel to time a break, whoa!

Commentary.

I would hate to know that this is the best he can do. Some times the pressure of making money
will cause people to take short cuts and the results are less than stellar.

Even though we have hammered him (He brought it on him self) this may be a wake up call that
will make him improve on the craftsmanship and not let anything leave his shop in this condition.

There is an illness brought on by time versus money and it is called "That's good enough, or "It
will work" and this illness only leads to poor workmanship.

With all the talk today about how much it cost and the tendency to try and save a little money this
symptom will rear it's ugly head.

Most of the time you get what you pay for. (Sometimes you don't) Someone doing this type of work
(gun smithing) should charge what he feels is necessary to do quality work and pay the bills But he should never let work like this leave his shop at any price.

Maybe he will improve his quality, If not he wont last long.

Nothing Personal, just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

His site says he started training 10 years ago and overnight his hobby turned into a business. He has a handful of positive testimonials. I just can't fathom the same guy I read about missing such key fundamentals on as simple of job as fitting some brakes and making them match the finish. Just saying if I ever fouled up that bad he would have received 4 brand new rifles and brakes with an apology that I couldn't make it work out and there would have been some compensation for his lost time.

When I took up gunsmithing I took the philosophy first to do no harm and second all work would look like it originally came that way or better.

0sYtBX.jpg

gxeb.jpg

img4823s.jpg

musclebrakes981002nsm.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.