Muzzle Brakes and more

So after a bit of asking around, reading in the forum and ponder, I decided I was gonna order a brake from MBM. I still have a few questions, so I sent an email as there is no posted phone number. Crickets....
I know they are popular, but I'm thinking I need to look at others. The MBM website looks vacant. There is a section for "in the works", that mentions estimated completion dates of a year ago.

I want a self timing, slim, non-radial brake. This is for a hunting rig, 7RM of course, and it will ride on a heavy sporter that is .700 at the muzzle, so 9/16-24 TPI. Recommendations?

Thank you in advance fellas
Nate is as good as they come, I've always heard back when I've reached out. I have 2 of his 4 port brakes on my 300 Win Mags, I love both of them. He has another business, so he might be tied up when you emailed and couldn't answer right away. I promise you'll be satisfied if you put one of his brakes on any of your guns.

Wahoo have you looked at the Precision Armament Hypertap brakes. An independent test of over 50 brakes rated it No1 at reducing recoil and it is tunable for muzzle rise. They advertise 80 percent recoil reduction. I decided to try one and I noticed a recoil reduction from my previous popular brake.

I also had fast response to my emails. All questions asnswered. Couldn't ask for better customer service than MBM.

I'm sorry but I am not a cripple parapalegic yet and I see no sense in adding an amplifier to my already loud as hell 7mm Mag. Take some rubber foam and stuff in under your shirt on your shoulder before you shoot. Seriously carpet underlayment folded over about 6 or 8 times to suit like a handkerchief does a better job than boom amplifier at reducing kick. For a long time I cut a piece off a gymnast rubber mat untill I lost it. No problemo, I still kept the rest of the gymnast mat. If real serious, I once drilled a hole in the stock of a single shot shotgun 12ga that weighed 4 and a half pounds. To that hole in the stock about midway I bolted a ten pound barbell weight after getting situated in the blind overlooking the feed station for the wild hogs. I love 12 ga slug hunting close up a lot more with 14 pound weapon than a 4.5 pound weapon. Also did similar with a plastic stock rifle that was hollow on the inside of the stock. Filled it and the forearm component with lead shot. Nearly the same increase in weight but not as portable and field assembly capable.

SJC Titan Cimpensator is amazingly flat in .223/5.56, I wish they'd make a 6.5 Creedmoor version. It's loud but super flat shooting. Any comp/brake recommendation for 6.5 Creedmoor?

SJC Titan Cimpensator is amazingly flat in .223/5.56, I wish they'd make a 6.5 Creedmoor version. It's loud but super flat shooting. Any comp/brake recommendation for 6.5 Creedmoor?

I am not sure what you mean by SJC Titan compensator is amazingly flat but they make them in 6.5 version ...

SJC titan.JPG

Its not about comfort. My pachmayr decelerator pad works well for that. Its about spotting my hits and just over-all taming the muzzle. I share your dislike of the increased report, but like all things in life, ya gotta pay something to get something, lessen yer a democrat...

Just put one on my 300 winny with a 3b barrel. Same .700 as yours. Looks great and I'd say the recoil feels about half of what it use to. I can now shoot as many shots as I want without beating my shoulder to it's death. It's great. I had mine tapered down to the .700 and left the brake it's original size to help with recoil.

Attachments

• IMG_20190727_190950.jpg
    IMG_20190727_190950.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
I have KDF brakes on my 2 brownings 338 win and 300 win. They make a huge difference and look great. They look great when the rifles are in the safe. I think breaks work proportional to powder charge. The more powder gas going out the more the brake pulls the rifle away from you. When I load the rounds with trail Boss for sighting in there is almost no difference. Slow burn heavy charges make a huge difference. There is an affect I have heard of were you become fatigued from the gas pounding you. I get this as my indoor range has you shoot down concrete tubes at the 100 range. the blast to the shooter is profound on top of it being in a small concrete room. So light loads to set windage and then full to finish elevation.

So after a bit of asking around, reading in the forum and ponder, I decided I was gonna order a brake from MBM. I still have a few questions, so I sent an email as there is no posted phone number. Crickets....
I know they are popular, but I'm thinking I need to look at others. The MBM website looks vacant. There is a section for "in the works", that mentions estimated completion dates of a year ago.

I want a self timing, slim, non-radial brake. This is for a hunting rig, 7RM of course, and it will ride on a heavy sporter that is .700 at the muzzle, so 9/16-24 TPI. Recommendations?

Thank you in advance fellas

I'm sorry but I am not a cripple parapalegic yet and I see no sense in adding an amplifier to my already loud as hell 7mm Mag. Take some rubber foam and stuff in under your shirt on your shoulder before you shoot. Seriously carpet underlayment folded over about 6 or 8 times to suit like a handkerchief does a better job than boom amplifier at reducing kick. For a long time I cut a piece off a gymnast rubber mat untill I lost it. No problemo, I still kept the rest of the gymnast mat. If real serious, I once drilled a hole in the stock of a single shot shotgun 12ga that weighed 4 and a half pounds. To that hole in the stock about midway I bolted a ten pound barbell weight after getting situated in the blind overlooking the feed station for the wild hogs. I love 12 ga slug hunting close up a lot more with 14 pound weapon than a 4.5 pound weapon. Also did similar with a plastic stock rifle that was hollow on the inside of the stock. Filled it and the forearm component with lead shot. Nearly the same increase in weight but not as portable and field assembly capable.
We have something in common, I too am not a crippled paraplegic. What that has to do with recoil management I don't know. We are different in the fact that I believe the best way to protect your hearing is to wear hearing protection (especially in a closed off area like a blind) instead of not having a muzzle brake installed. And that folding a bunch of crap up and stuffing it in my jacket might help with felt recoil on the shooter's end but doesn't reduce recoil and muzzle rise from happening. I also believe my one wheelchair bound buddy would agree with me, his handicap doesn't effect his common sense.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned Hypertrap.... they boast an 84% reduction on a .223 AR(gas gun) and 70% on a .308 Win.
I really don't think we are talking about the same kind of recoil.

Recent Posts