Muzzle Brakes and Ear Protection

kcebcj

This is aimed at guys that hike and hunt with a rifle that's braked. What do you do for ear protection? Where do you carry it and how do you use it? Plugs hanging around your neck or off the back pack? Do you practices with a brake then take it off to hunt? I don't like brakes as a rule but the new rifle in the works will require one so was wondering how everyone else deals with this important issue. Thanks for your reply in advance.

At the bare minimum I always have some of the ear plugs with string that attaches them together. I tie them to the size adjustment on the back of my hat, that way they are hanging readily accessible. I also recommend other forms of hearing protection to be carried in your pack so that if you have the time you can double up.

I shoot larger magnums, and you don't EVER want to shoot one with a brake if you don't have at least ear plugs in.

Jim,

I carry those construction type ear plugs that are on the plastic head band. I carry them even with out a break. If there is time I put them in if I am spotting or shooting. They ride comfortably around your neck. I've seen some that supposedly let you still hear while wearing them and they are not electronic. I have not tried them yet.

Steve

Jim,

I carry those construction type ear plugs that are on the plastic head band. I carry them even with out a break. If there is time I put them in if I am spotting or shooting. They ride comfortably around your neck.
Steve

I also use banded ear plugs, I have not gotten used to wearing them around my neck, so I usually just hook them onto my suspenders, it only takes a second to pop them in. I highly recommend them.

The only rifles that I have brakes on, are those that I sit and wait. No jump shooting type rifles.

For ear protection, I use the foam rollup type in addition to the electronic muffs. With the muffs turned up and the foam plugs in, I can hear as good as or better than without anything. But when I shoot, I have double protection.

Hope this helps,
AJ

The only rifles that I have brakes on, are those that I sit and wait. No jump shooting type rifles.

For ear protection, I use the foam rollup type in addition to the electronic muffs. With the muffs turned up and the foam plugs in, I can hear as good as or better than without anything. But when I shoot, I have double protection.

Hope this helps,
AJ

That's exactly my MO.
You only have to forget one time and you can do some real damage to your ears.....I spotted a monster buck at around 850 yds across the valley ;I made the bad decision to put on my ear muffs and not my double protection and I paid for it
Tom

Last edited:
At the bare minimum I always have some of the ear plugs with string that attaches them together. I tie them to the size adjustment on the back of my hat, that way they are hanging readily accessible. I also recommend other forms of hearing protection to be carried in your pack so that if you have the time you can double up.

I shoot larger magnums, and you don't EVER want to shoot one with a brake if you don't have at least ear plugs in.
"I use a combination of foam ear plugs and electronic ear muffs both at the range and while hunting. Unless your hunting whitetails, you have time to put on both before stalking and shooting. Its just a part of setting up for a shot. As an older hunter with a bum shoulder, I shoot a braked 30-06. My hunting and range shooting buddies know to stand clear when I'm going to shoot. At the range, I practice social distancing when I shoot my braked hunting rifle. I strongly recommend full eye protection as well as ear protection. The concession waves from a Muzzle Brake can slightly affect your eyes with what feels like dryness and eye strain after several rounds.

An older hunter with bum shoulders, I shoot a braked 30-06. I use a combination of foam ear plugs and electronic earmuffs allowing me to hear if I turn up the volume a bit. You just don't want to ever do the mistake of shooting a muzzle brake without some type of hearing protection. The sound isn't truly increased, its just redirected toward the shooter at close range combined with concussion waves.

There is one brake in the herd=338 Edge. The 30-06 tikka altra lite is waiting to get threaded till the can gets bailed out.
Had a 50bmg that I fired once without plugs= not good
When the 338 gets brought out the foam plugs go in and stay till the gun is put up! Everyone around is forwarned before every shot to make sure they have ear protection and are well behind the gun.
A can is spendy but might be worth it?

This is aimed at guys that hike and hunt with a rifle that's braked. What do you do for ear protection? Where do you carry it and how do you use it? Plugs hanging around your neck or off the back pack? Do you practices with a brake then take it off to hunt? I don't like brakes as a rule but the new rifle in the works will require one so was wondering how everyone else deals with this important issue. Thanks for your reply in advance.

You live in a free state. Get a suppressor.

There is one brake in the herd=338 Edge. The 30-06 tikka altra lite is waiting to get threaded till the can gets bailed out.
Had a 50bmg that I fired once without plugs= not good
When the 338 gets brought out the foam plugs go in and stay till the gun is put up! Everyone around is forwarned before every shot to make sure they have ear protection and are well behind the gun.
A can is spendy but might be worth it?

One proper can can serve on many rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.