Muzzle Brake

Jay Kyle

I'm sure this is a hashed out subject, but I've searched the archives and unable to find any quantitative comparisons of the myriad types of muzzle brakes out there. It would be nice to see actual test results of percent reduction and decible increase for the popular type out there. There's no end of antidotal reviews, but no hard results.

Anyway here's the one's I like to get comparisons on:
KDF
Vais
Ops
Holland
S1's
JP Industries (both their Howitzer and Benny Cooly models)
Answer
BP-Tec

I think this covers the most popular ones.

AB

[ 10-20-2003: Message edited by: AlbertaBound ]

Think you will find that "hard" data is hard to come by. Second, you list the most marketable ones that cater to select markets or are most commonly hyped. Think you will find some just as good and much cheaper. Noise reduction is just one aspect and often the least important.

You listed most of the better ones. As general rule the chamber brake style (Vais, Answer, Tooley, Myer, Harrels etc) seems to give the best recoil reduction with minimal blast.

Have shot and seen shot every brake out there and I go to ones that limit the concussion whereas the KDF style seem to make it worse.

You can spend $260-400 for some or you can buy a Harrels for $30 and $70-100 for installation. Either way, you are still going to have to wear muffs/and or plugs and I challenge anyone to "hear" 2-5 db difference when it is in the 140+ range to start with. That is before you figure the concussion itself.

I have several Holland, Tooley, Harrels that work very well all are under $150 installed in most cases. Personal opinion there is a lot of "hype" and big time markups in brakes with some smiths.

Right now, for the money the Holland and Harrels offer the best deal. The Holland is $60-90 and the Harrels is only $30.

Will any of them make your gun "shoot" more accurately, NO more than any device that will change the barrel harmonics and bring you closer or further from a sweet spot.

BH

I have a PGW break on my twolf. It reduces recoil so much it feels like I'm shooting my 15 lb 308 win. It also directs the gases directly to the sides so it won't kick dust in your face. I will kick dust in a neighbors face though.
wink.gif
Plus it is a handsome break. It is pretty loud like any other break but you get used to it pretty fast (I wouldn't shoot it without earplugs though)

The primary purpose of any muzzle break is to reduce felt recoil - understood.

Having worked in the aircraft industry I also feel that little holes - or more correctly smaller total port area - will drive up the noise level as the gases escapes at a higher velocity. Low velocity = lower noise output, higher velocity = higher noise output. Important point here is total forward thrust against the body of the break is what provides the recoil reduction.
Low noise is one of the primary reasons you see larger engines on the big jets (that and fuel efficency), the gases are slowed down which makes for quieter engines, but total thrust remains the same. I also compare a muzzle break to the reverse thrusters you see at the back of a 737 engine. They can be very noisy when engaged.

So enough of the rambling, what makes sense to me as to what design makes an efficent brake is large total port opening - for lower noise and maximum redirection of gases for maximum forward thrust.

There is one that intrigues me, the Op's unit. Any experience out there on that unit?

AB

[ 10-20-2003: Message edited by: AlbertaBound ]

The best one in reduced felt recoil bar none is any on of the clam shell type brakes. For normal calibers it is the OPS INC. I put and shot them on Lapuas, RUM's, 300 Win Mags, WSM.... you name it they are one of the best if not the best.
The other's are good some more so than others, some reduce recoil and some are louder than hell.
There is really no easy way to compare them because every rifle weighs more or less than the next, certain stocks handle recoil better than others...the list goes on.
My question would be what are you putting it on-rifle specs? And what do you want it to do?

The target rifle for this brake is a factory 300 RUM Sendero shooting 240gr SMK's.

The purpose of the brake is to reduce recoil so it's pleasant to shoot either at the range (away from other folks) or in the field. Hearing protection is a given.

AB

Albertabound, I feel you, trust me. I just got a sendero in 300RUM too. It is NOT plesant to shoot on the bench at all. I think I am going to order an ops as well myself.

Alberta,
Not sure if this is pertinent but you have a fellow named Richard Near in your province who advertises muzzlebreaks and has a lot of experience with them. Check www.nearmfg.com, might want to talk to him.

I agree a more scientific comparison would be very useful (and apparently never done before?)-Magazine article for the future Rifle shooter Mag?

It would not be that difficult, the equipment to measure the impulse over time and Sound is easy, just use the same rifle, same cartridge and change only the brakes.

It is not necessary to introduce other variables like stock fit, weight of rifle, etc. just the brake if one wanted to keep is ASAP for a 1st go round. You could very usefully expand the experiment though!

How about the above brakes on a 22-250, 270 and 338 win mag, light med and heavy bullets, typical rifle with scope weights.
My physics guess is that something like the JP enterprises brake would do very well because it provides a big surface area for the escaping gasses to push the rifle away from the shooter, counter acting the normal recoil.

How about it Rifle shooter?

I agree a more scientific comparison would be very useful (and apparently never done before?)-Magazine article for the future Rifle shooter Mag?

It would not be that difficult, the equipment to measure the impulse over time and Sound is easy, just use the same rifle, same cartridge and change only the brakes.

It is not necessary to introduce other variables like stock fit, weight of rifle, etc. just the brake if one wanted to keep is ASAP for a 1st go round. You could very usefully expand the experiment though!

How about the above brakes on a 22-250, 270 and 338 win mag, light med and heavy bullets, typical rifle with scope weights.
My physics guess is that something like the JP enterprises brake would do very well because it provides a big surface area for the escaping gasses to push the rifle away from the shooter, counter acting the normal recoil.

How about it Rifle shooter?

I just had Nathan Dagley at Straight Shot Gunsmithing install a brake that he makes on my 7rum. The results were amazing. His work was flawless. You can see a demonstration on his web site of his muzzle brakes. Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.