muzzle brake timing?

little black 243

Sorry if this has been asked before but I havent been able to find anything on it besides that it helps. What is involved with timing a muzzle brake? How would a DE or Hollands brake be timed? Im thinking about a DE for my 7mm to reduce muzzle jump. Thank you.

I know George Vais quite well; he's a very good friend. I've built brake(s) myself with his tutelage.
As for the timing issue; if you are talking about trying to use a brake to change the harmonics of your barrel, then look at Winchester and Browning BOSS concepts. If you thinking of working it like a harmonic weight at the end of a barrel I don't think that going to work very well for you… you need a lot more threads on the barrel and much deeper in the brake to qualify as a tuning system. If you going to Bloop Tube your barrel with a weight, you might want to start with a custom built weighted flash hider type design with the proper length of threads.
Bottom line is; brakes are really not barrel harmonic tuning devices….

Good luck.

Just my .02

I have read in a few bench rest type forums that brakes like the vias should be timed? I was wondering what would be the purpous or benefit from this? thanks again.

I think they mean that the holes should be ether vertical or horizontal (timed / indexed)
to look right and to direct gas the in same direction to prevent odd thrust vectors that
could effect accuracy.

The breaks with the holes/slots on the side need to be horizontal with the action for the same reason. For example= if a rifle strings the group horizontal it usually means that the stock
is allowing the action and barrel to move the same way, This is why we bed rifles to prevent
this movement. and if you have a break that is not timed/indexed it can also cause a harmonic
imbalance because the action is held to the stock vertically and the loading will be uneven
and may cause poor accuracy.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I think they mean that the holes should be ether vertical or horizontal (timed / indexed)
to look right and to direct gas the in same direction to prevent odd thrust vectors that
could effect accuracy.

The breaks with the holes/slots on the side need to be horizontal with the action for the same reason. For example= if a rifle strings the group horizontal it usually means that the stock
is allowing the action and barrel to move the same way, This is why we bed rifles to prevent
this movement. and if you have a break that is not timed/indexed it can also cause a harmonic
imbalance because the action is held to the stock vertically and the loading will be uneven
and may cause poor accuracy.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

That was what I was wondering. Thanks!

I had Darrel Holand put his QD Brake on my 7MAG and my buddies 300 ultra. My rifle shot the same(extremely accurate) with the same load and my buddies shot better than before. I don't know what Darrel does when he installs them, but they sure do work!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.