Muzzle brake threads on proof barrel

Ross Schuler, makes quality brakes that work , and his prices are great. A 5/8-24 is pretty common brake thread size.Who ever is threading the barrel will be able to determine how large or small you will be able to go.My last proof was threaded 5/8-24 300 win mag I used a 4 port Ross brake.no problems.

I thread my proof barrels 5/8x24. Also like the beast brakes from muzzle brakes and more they are very effective.
I know the 5 port beast would do me good. But would it make my barrel too long and not fun to carry in the woods? Barrel is 26" finished then add a 3"+ brake on it and it seems long. I'm not really sure what to do

The 5 port Beast are 3.11" long and add about 2.5" to the overall length of your barrel. I run a Ti Beast on my main hunting rifle with a 26" barrel and the length doesn't bother me. Longer then that and I would probably object.

Here is the same brake on my 24" barrel rifle, a 5 port TI Beast. Barrel length with brake is as he stated, 26.5".
20200118_163836.jpg

I have a collection of brakes. Holland from Oregon work very well at a claimed 45% I have another brand that claims 48%. But they both have upward small holes to counter act rise.

only thread the min. on the barrel diameter. Smaller diameter barrels should not use upward vents.

Why do you suggest no upward holes in smaller diameter barrels?

It goes right along with barrel whip. Someone on here years ago posted some real slow mo videos of potent calibers and skinny barrels with upward brake vents. The side ports cancel each other out. You would believe the amount of barrel deflection downward

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.