Muzzle Brake Test - Video

308 nate

Initially posted by 308 Nate HERE

I have had a lot of people ask me "how much recoil do your brakes reduce?" , well, this is not an easy question to answer as it will vary by the particular chamberings and weight of the rifle.

so I had a little fun today...was testing a new "V" brake 1" four port with 10 degree upward angled V ports. I was impressed. Below are three video clips of my .338-.300 ultra rogue. launching 300 grainers at 2920.
The first clip has my X-treme V port brake. the second has my new angled design brake and the third is with no brake.

Enjoy,
308Nate

Video of brake1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Video of brake2 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Video of brake3 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last edited by a moderator:
308 Nate:
I am new to this so forgive me for asking how to reach you for info on your muzzle breaks. I need to put one on a 338 lapua for G&A and would like to hear more about what you are building.

marc

His web site and email are in his signature at the bottom of his post. He is also a sponsor here. The brakes work really well.

Cool, Ive been thinkin I need a break on my mod 70 Win 300wby. every smith I talk to has different advise. ''You dont need one theyre a waste of $'' or ''I recomend this brand or that, and i can install you only this kind '' or ''All your gonna do is blow out your ear drums, buy a smaller caliber''.
NOT 1 has put on a demmo. Thanks nate I may look you up when I have some extra $. For now, Im going strait to your web site! Lots of guys on here recomend your breaks, and this aint an easy crowd to please!

Just saw STI commercial last night on the Outdoor channel. I like their stuff and I have an STI frame 1911 but they showed their AR15 firing with a muzzle brake and if was obvious at normal speed that the rifle was shifting sideways as it was fired. If you slow it down you can really see it! That would be a bit frustrating!

Tom

Nate,

Not only was that revealing it was also a bit intimidating.

I'm shooting a 338 RUM with less MV even with that I'm surprised that I am absorbing that much recoil. No wonder I went to a brake in the first place. Ouch!

Nice video, Great demonstration.

Howdy, to those of who might be wondering about the noise level produced by Nathan's brakes I had him build a rifle for me last year with one of his v port brakes, I've shot the rifle with out hearing protection more than I probably should have. The reason is because the brake is not as loud as brakes normally are. That said, it is loud, but if need be a shot can be fired while hunting without listening to the ringing in your ears for two days. Other brakes I've had I wouldn't dare to fire a round with out ear plugs. And any one around curses you.

The rifle is a 7mm REM mag 168 at 3065, setup its around 14 lbs.
The recoil is minimal, lying prone I can always watch the bullet impact.
This is something I can say took me by suprise. There's nothing like seeing your bullet impact your target

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.