muzzle brake symmetry and accuracy?

kennyg

I read an article on accurate shooter somewhere that stated a muzzle brake with holes all the way around will always be more accurate then a brake that has no holes on the bottom. I want to be able to shoot prone with a brake; will i loose accuracy if I go with a brake with out bottom ports? Will a brake that only has ports on the sides (like badger thruster) be more accurate then say a Holland with side ports and holes in the top? Thanks for the help!

C&P from http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/muzzle-brake-vs-accuracy-49464/

I've seen brakes mess up a rifles accuracy and the reasons were this.

1. Poor brake design, example shrewd varmit brake with holes only on the top 180 degrees, produced same results your' describing.

2. Not enough clearance on the baffle holes, or unconcentric clearance.
I have seen the clearance holes "close up" over use. The gas cutting on a baffle actually can create a bur on the leading edge of the baffle, this bur then is pushed or displaced into the clearance hole. Causing a constriction, and unconsentric hole at the baffles leading edge. (if this was your problem typically the rifle shoots great but over time and use the accuracy deteriates.)
Concentricity can also be the problem if the brake was installed unconcentric with the bore, due to a poor set-up on instal.

Good brakes should have no effect on accuracy other than to allow you to shoot better.

Last edited:
I've found that a muzzle brake must have a few essential things to work properly and maintain accuracy. It must be installed square to the rifles bore and the clearance hole must be true and even with .020" - .030" total clearance over caliber diameter. The ports must also be true and even. Muzzle brakes will work effectively if the gases can dissipate evenly out of the muzzle brake. If you have holes or ports at 9 o'clock then you need to have the same size holes or ports at 3 o'clock for even gas dispersion. The gases will exit evenly and the bullet will not be disturbed by uneven gas pressure from one side (flutter). If you add holes to just the top you have created uneven gas dispersion as the the gases can't escape evenly from the top without holes to counter on the bottom. The exiting gas will push unevenly on the bullet in the opposite direction of the holes or ports. I know alot of you have brakes with holes on the sides and top only and your rifles shoot just fine. The uneven gas dispersion may only effect the accuracy a small amount but it is effecting it. Not all brakes are created equal.
For radial style brakes a really like a Vais. For timed or ported brakes I really like the muscle brake. The majority of the exiting gas is lost in the first row of holes or ports and a little less for each row of holes or ports from there forward. Either of these brakes will work effectively because the design allows them to disperse the gases evenly. The muscle brake has a slight edge though because of it's larger ports. The larger ports allow more gas to exit quicker. If you want to shoot prone with a muzzle brake, you don't want a radial style brake. My recommendation is a muscle brake. The Badger thruster has small ports. It will work just fine but larger ports would help to eliminate more recoil by allowing more exiting gas to dissipate quicker. In my opinion I don't recommend brakes with holes on just the top.

I use the radial style brake (vais) and I shoot prone, no problem. I shoot with a bag or tripod, and unless the muzzle is IN the dirt, the so called "dust cloud" isn't a problem.

yup that is the one. He says that holes on the top only are never as accurate as holes all the way around. However, both holland and Kirby Allen's PK muzzle brakes have holes on the top and not on the bottom. I have not heard complaints about lack of accuracy from them.....

I agree with the principle of the claim that even/concentric gas dispersion is important for best accuracy. Hence for "ultra" precision, I would think that no brake would be best for your bench/rail gun.

For good precision on a hunting rifle, there are a number of good brakes and I have only praise for Holland's QD brake with baffles to the sides and holes on top. I've had good experience with other designs as well such as KDF. But, Vais, Muscle Brake, Painkiller, etc... all have great reputations.

You'd be hard pressed to convince me that one of these is inherently more accurate than the others. As discussed by previous responders, poor quality materials and/or installation will render any design worthless.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts