Muzzle Brake Recommendation

With your parameters I have but one brake to suggest, but before I do. I have been blessed with not one but three Lee Baker's brakes. they just work and I can self spot with them. The bad news is that lee died of cancer about 4 months ago and he will not be taking any more orders from now on.
the brake I suggest is either the Precision Armament M-11 or M-41 brakes. I own and use 6 of them and have little to no blow back in my face and no dust clouds for 3 feet either side of me while prone. I love these brakes and wish I had more long range rifles with them on them.

Anyone ever try those linear comps? It doesn't seem like they would work at all.
I have 4 of them on 223/5.56, 300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, and one on a 300 win mag. the 300 win mag linear brake works about as good as a single port comp. about 15% to 20% of the recoil is dampened not much.. that is why the 300 win mag's brake is getting changed out for a Precision Armament M-41.

Anyone ever try those linear comps? It doesn't seem like they would work at all.
I have a pair on my AR pistol barrels. The one I've used so far is on my 300 BLK. For a house gun pistol it's the choice when you can't use a flash hinder here in California. Not much recoil with the 300 BLK, but seems to work well. If you're on a budget, the Mitchulik brakes are great for the money. I have one one my AR10 and one on my AR15 223. Nothing close for the price.

I use linear comps on about everything but 33cals. on 223, 6.5 grendel and even 6.5 creedmoor they work well you start getting into large cased fast bullets they do not seem to be as effective. Loe my silencers tho, if you can that is the way to go.

Check out-- https://gogunusa.com/pages/how-do-brakes-work -- Gives you some insight into what you might be looking for. Myself, all I do anymore is varmint hunt. In shooting 22-250 most of the time. I use a Witt machine radial break wearing earplugs and shooting muffs! The blast is pretty fierce, so much so that I can feel my hair move! Virtually no recoil though, and it improved my accuracy by about 30%. I know you are not concerned about recoil but according to my reading almost any break other than a radial may affect accuracy?

You might check out Witt machine and tool Co. They have a brake with a sound mitigation device. Don't know much about it but am thinking about trying one myself. Maybe some others here are familiar with them.

I have two area 419 hellfire brakes and one 2 port on a 16.5" creedmoor. I have used the lil beast 3 port, the JP recoil eliminator. I have shot several rifles with a Harrel's brake but not sure which ones, and have shot some radial brakes (kimber and another) but not on my rifles. The 419 self timing are my favorite. The JP recoil eliminator was the best, but it has been outlawed in some competitions because it is huge diameter. The 419 is angled back, but I can't say I am certain to have shot one that is truly a 90 degree port.

I shoot 90% prone in Nevada dust. If you are looking for a light contour brake, I think the beast brakes did good enough, but I never used the self timing one. The 419 feels better and I feel less concussion than the lil beast as a shooter. As a spotter I cannot tell the difference between many of the brakes on the line. More horsepower makes more "noise" but I think that is more a factor of the cartridge rather than the brake.

I have had people complain about every brake I have used at public range. Some people just like to complain. I shoot mostly high volume from light cartridges. My hunting rifles do not have brakes because they are all pencil barrels. (Kimber 8400 270 wsm, 300 wm win model 70 and 25-06 rem 700 bdl) yet I would not hesitate to put a 419 on a 23" 7 Saum with a carbon wrapped barrel and carry it until the world ends.

Last edited:
I have a Witt Machine clamp - on, with Rem 700 in 06. It has big ports on the sides, small ports on top, no ports on the bottom, so it keeps muzzle jump down.
Works great, kicks about like a 243. Got it on sale for about $70

I think this is a good podcast (Backcountry Rookies #133) interviewing the owner of Patriot Valley. He discusses different types of brakes, pro/cons, and his designs. A lot of discussion about where the blast goes. He claims his brakes reduce recoil as much as other very good rear angled brakes, but do not direct the blast onto the shooter's shoulders or head.

Based on this podcast, I decided to try the Jet Blast on my new 33 Nosler. I must say I'm very impressed. The other day I shot it with 265 grain bullets along side my 308 with 150's. The 308 has a side port (non-angled) brake from Benchmark. I have to say that if there was a difference in felt roil or muzzle blast, it was too small of a difference for me to detect. They definitely had a different feel, but one wasn't better or worse than the other, and both are very easy to shoot. The 308 weighs 7.27 lbs and the 33 Nosler weighs 8.57 lbs.

I've had tanker brakes - not any more. Loud, large sideways muzzle blast, obnoxious.
Still have a couple of other brakes (one with a cool lion logo etched into it), KAC QDC, etc. I don't notice them and can see hits.
On my big magnums, I have MBMs. They have the least side blast (I can't feel it standing next to people shooting my guns), are the least noisy of all the large muzzle brakes I've used, provide the most felt recoil reduction, and provide muzzle rise compensation.

I have a few muzzle brakes and the most efficient one that I currently have is the API Little Bastard gen3. It is loud and people next to me at the range don't like it but hey, I didn't buy it for them.
Green card for ungentlemanly conduct at the range.

Witt machine and tool Co. They have a brake with a sound mitigation device.
Those work very well, but will increase the felt recoil. My example would be my 338 Edge. Rather than kicking like an -06, it kicked like a 300 Mag.

His comment on the video, about 60K PSI at the muzzle is incorrect. By the time the gas reaches the muzzle behind the bullet, it can be as low as 15K PSI or even less.

Hi all, hope everyone's having a decent winter. It's barely been winter at all here in Utah which is both great and terrible.

I've looked and looked and can find no concise way to learn about an individual muzzle brake's dynamics when shopping. What I'm looking for is a brake that is horizontally ported with maybe a little compensation and with no more than 90 degree venting. I understand how and why backward venting brakes work so well, but I am pretty intolerant of the gas blast. I'd much rather get thumped in the shoulder than shot with air and unburnt powder and sand. I'll shoot 2 boxes of unbraked '06 heavies and 2 of duck loads in my sxs before I shoot one of creedmoor with one of those backward brakes. I was also born with pretty bad hearing and don't want to risk anything else. At the same time self-spotting would be really, really nice. Anyone seen what I'm talking about? I've heard they're out there but I'll be darned if I know how to find them.

Thanks!
90 degree ports do not always have less blast on the shooter. Each combo is a little different. I think its mostly to do with muzzle pressure. Higher muzzle pressure equals more concussion, its that simple. I have went to 90 degree brakes for a while to try and tame that down, and now am back to the effective brakes because I found in many cases those 90 degree brakes were as bad or worse. The nastiest one I have done lately was a simple radial hole brake, but a little shorter barrel than normal. Buy a Beast brake or a terminator. The most effective brakes out there, I have yet to try one in that class. The beast has some down force, so in a lighter rifle I like them to help jump on the bipod. The terminator does a very good job of removing any excess material, they are as light as many of the ti offerings without the ti issues.

Hi all, hope everyone's having a decent winter. It's barely been winter at all here in Utah which is both great and terrible.

I've looked and looked and can find no concise way to learn about an individual muzzle brake's dynamics when shopping. What I'm looking for is a brake that is horizontally ported with maybe a little compensation and with no more than 90 degree venting. I understand how and why backward venting brakes work so well, but I am pretty intolerant of the gas blast. I'd much rather get thumped in the shoulder than shot with air and unburnt powder and sand. I'll shoot 2 boxes of unbraked '06 heavies and 2 of duck loads in my sxs before I shoot one of creedmoor with one of those backward brakes. I was also born with pretty bad hearing and don't want to risk anything else. At the same time self-spotting would be really, really nice. Anyone seen what I'm talking about? I've heard they're out there but I'll be darned if I know how to find them.

Thanks!
APA Answer đź‘Ť

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.