Muzzle Brake Recommendation

Tell us more about your rifle. Barrel profile and such. Some brakes just don't look right on thin, sporter barrels. Barrel profile will also determine max thread size which may eliminate some options as well.
Good point. I don't have it yet but it'll be a sendero profile, 24" long, with 5/8-24. It's not the thread I ideally would want, but it's the only option on the prefit I'm getting. Of course I can add threads later but I honestly won't. The point of my looking into this is to see if I want the threads left off entirely. I'd rather have no threads and avoid the wallering out effect in the last inch of the barrel if my only brake options are going to be not a good fit for me.

Good point. I don't have it yet but it'll be a sendero profile, 24" long, with 5/8-24. It's not the thread I ideally would want, but it's the only option on the prefit I'm getting. Of course I can add threads later but I honestly won't. The point of my looking into this is to see if I want the threads left off entirely. I'd rather have no threads and avoid the wallering out effect in the last inch of the barrel if my only brake options are going to be not a good fit for me.
5/8-24 is great and Sendero profile keeps the options open. I'm a big fan of the Area 419 Hellfire for a self timing brake. "Muzzle Brakes and More" has some nice brakes and great pricing and he frequents the site. Terminator T2, T3, etc Brakes are nice. I really like the Muscle Brake.

Last edited:
5/8x24 is pretty standard and works well. Got brakes on 12-14 rifles. Never experienced or heard of "wallowing" out? All work well.
My only suggestion is get side venting if you shoot prone/bipod. I prefer radial venting/self timing, but I don't shoot on the ground.

5/8x24 is pretty standard and works well. Got brakes on 12-14 rifles. Never experienced or heard of "wallowing" out? All work well.
My only suggestion is get side venting if you shoot prone/bipod. I prefer radial venting/self timing, but I don't shoot on the ground.
Eh, I've read the last inch of the barrel tends to lose its shape and you have to get the muzzle set back. It might not be that prevalent but I trust the sources. Definitely after a side vent only.

Here's a link to the muzzle brake test, perhaps the closest to a scientific test out there, and IMHO, very nicely done ...

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/12/muzzle-brake-blast-ground-signature/

https://precisionrifleblog.com/tag/muzzle-brake-reviews/
There is so much info on these pages, holy moly. Thanks for the links. Unfortunately it looks like what I feared. The least helpful ones are about 40 percent louder and the good ones are twice as loud to the shooter. I'll deal with it and find one, I just won't use it under cover. Don't really need it at the range anyway, I'm blast shy not kick shy. Just want to see misses when I'm out alone.

I appreciate all the suggestions gents, there's some great looking brakes in your feedback.

I have a few muzzle brakes and the most efficient one that I currently have is the API Little Bastard gen3. It is loud and people next to me at the range don't like it but hey, I didn't buy it for them. With that said, I took the plunge and bought a suppressor which will be going into jail next week. I am also buying an Area 419 Hellfire brake because of the mounting system they have. Screw their adapter onto the barrel and then you can install the brake or a suppressor in seconds. I've also heard the Hellfire is loud but good at reducing recoil.

Area 419 Hellfire

There is so much info on these pages, holy moly. Thanks for the links. Unfortunately it looks like what I feared. The least helpful ones are about 40 percent louder and the good ones are twice as loud to the shooter. I'll deal with it and find one, I just won't use it under cover. Don't really need it at the range anyway, I'm blast shy not kick shy. Just want to see misses when I'm out alone.

I appreciate all the suggestions gents, there's some great looking brakes in your feedback.
There is also the linear compensator option, https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Comps-s/100.htm

The JP tank brake has been shown in testing to have the least movement for shot spotting. It's not the most effective brake for recoil reduction, but still a good alternative, if you can live with the look.

Area 419, I have3 over the years tried several and I like the Area419 Hellfire the best. Easy to remove to clean and as effective as any that I have tried. A bonus is that they make suppressor bounce that fir on the barrel adapter so you can switch back and forth.

Hi all, hope everyone's having a decent winter. It's barely been winter at all here in Utah which is both great and terrible.

I've looked and looked and can find no concise way to learn about an individual muzzle brake's dynamics when shopping. What I'm looking for is a brake that is horizontally ported with maybe a little compensation and with no more than 90 degree venting. I understand how and why backward venting brakes work so well, but I am pretty intolerant of the gas blast. I'd much rather get thumped in the shoulder than shot with air and unburnt powder and sand. I'll shoot 2 boxes of unbraked '06 heavies and 2 of duck loads in my sxs before I shoot one of creedmoor with one of those backward brakes. I was also born with pretty bad hearing and don't want to risk anything else. At the same time self-spotting would be really, really nice. Anyone seen what I'm talking about? I've heard they're out there but I'll be darned if I know how to find them.

Thanks!
These are an incredible, cheap, comfortable shooting solution. I use them in fabrication shops, and alone ( no muffs) even when shooting my 50 BMG. I have packets of them Everywhere....gun cases, truck door, hunting camp and front pocket.I do not like the foam ones...just me.
Screenshot_20210124-105809.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.