muzzle brake port angles

splattermatic

i see all kinds of brakes on the market and was just curious as to what angle should the ports be drill on the brake with just holes and at what diameter.

with all the experience around here, someone must know what's the most effective design and what the angles and holes sizes are.

alot of brakes are added right into the barrel and some are screwed on that are almost invisible to the barrel diameter with just holes, so i was wondering why there are so many that basically look alike but what makes them different ??

hope i asked this correctely ??

there is the vias type which ar the ones with holes all the way around. Then you have the Holland type with the fish gills. nice thing about these kinds is that they dont kick up as much dust as the vias type. then you got the clam type such as the jp. Very effective brake but they look dorky to some people. as for hole angle on the vias type I dont know which angle is best.

Brakes with holes in them 360 degrees are not as effective as baffle designed brakes. The hole angle means so little in this type of design, hole size and or total volume of disipation is the key to this type being effective at all. If you are looking for a brake that really works get a baffle brake. Most baffle brakes are at least slightly larger than the barrel diameter. The good designs don't have porting on the bottom. Some have top porting some do not. I prefer the ones with no porting on TDC.

When it comes to my hunting rigs I don't care what others think of their looks, I just want something that works for me.I like the jp brake, it would be my own little tank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Yote here are 2 i make i am amking a large one for Kirby and Shawn

Cheers Bill
Australia

Could not get the pics to work

shawn or wild bill,
can you post a pic or a link of what your talking about, or the one your using ?

i know what the jp looks like, and the holy (!) ones, but ?? on the baffles...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.