Muzzle Brake on A-Bolt II 300 WM?

TheMoose

I came home from a LGS this weekend with a very lightly used Browning A-Bolt II Medallion chambered in 300 Win. Mag. It is almost too pretty to shoot, I have always opted for less fancy, but this one looked sweet and I was looking to buy my first .300 WM... I'm an old geezer(66) and looking to do some shooting at my local club out to 600 yards or so and if successful will be looking at the rifle for a long range deer or elk rifle... I shot it for the first time today to put it on paper... I have no problem with it's recoil( I have loaded and shot over 1,000 12 ga slugs over the years and have had .338, 264 and 45-70's and being bigger than the average bear doesn't hurt)... almost all of my shooting and hunting is solo and the barrel jump is noticeable... would you suggest adding a break to reduce it so that I may better stay on target? I would like to keep the barrel's appearance and don't want to hang a "boat anchor" on the end of it... Any suggestions on what brake to use or good smith located in South Central PA. would be greatly appreciated.

TheMoose

Feenix,

Thanks for the response... I had tried search before and was somewhat overwhelmed with the threads to review... maybe I didn't refine enough.. used A-Bolt Brake... got 235 threads... read a lot and did learn some things..
Thanks..

Montour county is a poke from here... but on his website, Kevin states as he no longer taking on projects due to a large amount of work he has taken in... I'm in not immediate hurry and need to put some rounds down range but was hoping to find someone who had "been there", "done that" with a thin barrel magnum..

Thanks again,

TheMoose

I came home from a LGS this weekend with a very lightly used Browning A-Bolt II Medallion chambered in 300 Win. Mag. It is almost too pretty to shoot, I have always opted for less fancy, but this one looked sweet and I was looking to buy my first .300 WM... I'm an old geezer(66) and looking to do some shooting at my local club out to 600 yards or so and if successful will be looking at the rifle for a long range deer or elk rifle... I shot it for the first time today to put it on paper... I have no problem with it's recoil( I have loaded and shot over 1,000 12 ga slugs over the years and have had .338, 264 and 45-70's and being bigger than the average bear doesn't hurt)... almost all of my shooting and hunting is solo and the barrel jump is noticeable... would you suggest adding a break to reduce it so that I may better stay on target? I would like to keep the barrel's appearance and don't want to hang a "boat anchor" on the end of it... Any suggestions on what brake to use or good smith located in South Central PA. would be greatly appreciated.

TheMoose
I'm a little younger but feel about the same as you. Even my 375 Ruger's recoil was tolerable but there was sure no way to see my hits with it or any of my 300's until I added a muzzle brake to all of them.

I have tried lots of brakes and the one I settled on for both price and how it performed was the North West Precision Muzzle brake.

I have the slotted versions. Every effective for reducing muzzle flip, felt recoil and not bad on the ears if you forget your protection or don't have time when having to make a quick shot.

Muzzle Brake Rifle of Pistol Muzzle Break | eBay

I have these on 7 rifles now and before long I'll have them on three more. Just have to make another trip to the gunsmith to pick some up and drop some more off.

Clarance Hammond is near you, great smith and a nice man, Witt machine in Colorado makes a nice clamp on brake that works well,and is not permanent, if you fid your not happy, take it off, and your no worse off then when you started,Google ether one and you will find all you need to know,good luck , john

Much appreciated TexasJohn, RedLion is within reasonable driving distance.. Never thought about a clamp-on unit. Be glad when the snow melts and I can get some range time... maybe a good thing to see how well the new rifle(&me) do on paper before making a major change... but this gives me a couple great places to start.

thanks again,

themoose

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.