muzzle brake noise/concussion comparison

yorke-1

I acquired a Savage Striker in 300 WSM with the adjustable brake a few weeks ago. I took it out and tried it with the brake both on and off, just to get a comparison on the noise, concussion, and recoil reduction that the brake would add. I set up a video camera so that I could watch the gun (and because a number of people said I was going to kill myself with this gun:)).

I was impressed with how effective the brake was at taming recoil, but the noise and concussion that it added were just unbearable. I've owned and shot a fair number of large caliber Contenders, Encores, and revolvers in calibers ranging from 375 JDJ, to Ruger level 45-70s in a BFR, and 500 S&Ws. None of these ever had muzzle brakes simply because of the added noise and back blast that they cause. Then again, they were all strictly hunting guns. I sat at the bench long enough to do load development, and then took them out to the field to shoot under "hunting" conditions. I envisioned the Striker as more of a plinking gun, so a brake doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I plan to swap barrels on the Striker anyways, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to have a muzzle brake add at the same time. I like the reduction in recoil, but I just can't tolerate the concussion that handgun brakes hit the shooter with. I'm thinking of just going with a heavier, longer barrel, and a little weight added to the forend to tame the muzzle rise, and not having a brake installed. The other option is to find an effective muzzle brake that is not as abusive to the shooter as far as the back blast, and go with a lighter contour barrel.

So my question is, what options are out there? I've followed Hammertyme's videos and posts on the Muscle Brake, and I've seen the videos and comments on the Holland brakes and Kirby's Pain Killer brake. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any info on how well the individual brakes address the issue of the concussion.

Andrew

Andrew,

Where is Clearwood, WA?

Can't find you on the map?

Hearing protection is the only way to go when using a brake......

Maybe interested in the WSM bbl when you remove it?????

Roy, Clearwood is about 10 miles SE of Yelm in Thurston County. It's a community that surrounds Clear Lake, Blue Lake, and Horseshoe Lake.

I always wear hearing protection when shooting, most of the time I have both plugs and muffs (Peltor Tac 6)on. But with the brake on, this gun is still enough to give you a headache after a while.

And I'll keep you in mind when I get a new barrel.

Andrew

Andrew, I have had afew guns over the years with muzzle brakes and from what I have found the better the brake the more noise. I also have a Striker, but mine is in .243 and I think I will be shooting it without the brake, due to the noise.

I just put one of Kirby's PK breaks on my 7 mag sendero and I love it. I have shot different rifles with the BOSS or VAIS, and to me Kirbys beats them all. Just my opinion. By the way, the 7mag kicks like a 223 now. Hope this helps! Good luck.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/new-concept-muzzle-brakes-44252/ click to view.

If you watch the video, note the concussion print in the grass. Zero concussion to the shooter even when the winds of the world are blowing in your face.

Though Jim won't talk about it and I absolutely use hearing protection anyway. His wife the audiologist brought equipment home to test the noise level. It is never good to shoot at any time in my opinion without hearing protection.

SHooting an unbraked 260 remington the noise decibal was 119. SHooting the braked 7 Dakota in the video the decibal reading was .121 or a mear 2 points above. Zero concussion!

Neal

Thanks Neal, I hadn't seen that post. When you had the brakes installed on your Stikers, did you send the whole gun in, or install the barrel, mark TDC, then ship just the barrel?

Andrew

In the video it's real clear that the brake ports the gases 90 degrees to the left and right...seems like it would alleviate the concern with concussion.

Thanks Neal. How was the turn around on having the brakes installed?

Does anyone have the Holland brake or a Pain Killer on one of their handguns? How's the blast from one of those?

Andrew

Ernie has one of each he should be along with some insight. He also has a video of the Holland brake in the video section on here.

Howdy Gents ,

I have several manufacturers brakes ,and my 2 cents .....
I think the Best Deal going now, The Harrels 360 degree at $30 and the Schuler Side Discharge Brake ,$40...and his install is about the same $ . Check out Benchrest Central , Specialty Pistols / Snipes Hide .... web sites , lots of comments and pictures . I have These brakes on guns from 223 to 338x375 Ruger .

Ray

Last edited:
Andrew, I have had afew guns over the years with muzzle brakes and from what I have found the better the brake the more noise.

+1

The most effective brakes are the loudest !!!!!

I have a few rifles with breaks and they work well as long as you use ear protection

But I prefer heaver barrels and stocks on my hunting rifles and avoid using breaks because
I like to hear better when hunting and sometimes dont have time to use ear plugs or muffs.

If you like breaks and hunt with them then I would suggest buying the electronic type
ear plugs (Like the walkers game ears)so you can hear well and the noise of the brake
is clipped at somewhere arround 80 to 90 decibels.

J E CUSTOM

I will gladly give up effectiveness of a brake if it means I don't get that slap in the face with every shot. Maybe I'll start wearing a face shield instead of just safety glasses.:D

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.