Muzzle brake install???

Wachsmann

Muzzle brake install question? I bought a sure fire muzzle brake and with the crush washers installed I will have to (after hand tight) tighten the break almost or a little more than 3/4 turn to get it indexed correctly. Is this way to much? Any other options. 5/8x24 Bergara rifle. The instructions states tighten to 90 degrees but no more than 450 degrees which that seem very excessive. I only have one other braked gun which had a custom muzzle break done and was timed by a smith and the thing fits like a glove and is timed perfect with just barely any pressure for tighten. Can you get other or thicker crush washers or thinner crush washers?

Muzzle brake install question? I bought a sure fire muzzle brake and with the crush washers installed I will have to (after hand tight) tighten the break almost or a little more than 3/4 turn to get it indexed correctly. Is this way to much? Any other options. 5/8x24 Bergara rifle. The instructions states tighten to 90 degrees but no more than 450 degrees which that seem very excessive. I only have one other braked gun which had a custom muzzle break done and was timed by a smith and the thing fits like a glove and is timed perfect with just barely any pressure for tighten. Can you get other or thicker crush washers or thinner crush washers?
This is why I like self-timing muzzle brakes.

Yes, you can get different size crush washers.

After running it a while I decided to use a different break. I had to cut the crush washer off. Kind of sucked cutting it off (the washer) but it's off. I also cleaned the break in CR water cleaner and took off all the paint. Well now o have a metal break with no paint. So for fun I might try doing an oil treatment where you heat it hot and drop in oil to give is a color or kind of bluing effect. Supposed to keep it from rusting. Or I might just repaint it. But there is no more carbon in it at all.