Muzzle brake for big boomer

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I have a custom 30-378 Weatherby on order. Does anyone have an opinion on which is the better brake --- Vais vs KDF.

1) Recoil reduction

2) Quietness

Hello Len

I have both on improved 30 Cal Weatherby cartridges.

So far, my wife and I both think the KDF has better recoil dampening. As far as noise, they are about the same.

I wear a set of the tactical (thin) Peltar ear protectors that allows you to have extreme hearing while afield and when the rifle goes off they shut down instantly and then come right back on.

Len, I just finished building my custom .388 ultramag that I had Krieger install a Vais brake on. Gun weighs 11.5lbs. For comparison I have a Weatherby .300mag, Laminated stock that weighs a good 10lbs, with the Weatherby accubrake installed. The accubrake has 5 sets of hole as does the KDF, not sure the difference in the internal design. Shooting the .388(Vais) with 250g Siera SBT @ 2900fps, without gripping the gun with both hands, I'd say the recoil is slightly more than the Weatherby shooting 180g Partitions. As for the noise, the Vais is definetly "quieter" than the Weatherby. Then again that might be cause the muzzle is in the next county due to the 30" barrel
grin.gif
I also installed a Vais brake on a .300 ultramag BDL, tamed it down to where it's pleasant to shoot.

al

Do you have any pictures of the 338 rum yet? 11.5 lbs is pretty light for the 30 Inch barrel, what is the muzzle thichness? Is the barrel 30 inches with the break or without? What stock did you put on it?

Keep us updated on the velocities you are getting, I am especially interested in any info. with the 300 grn sierra mk.

sr90,
The barrel is 28" long without the brake installed. I had Krieger modify their #6 taper to .820" O.D where the barrel meets the brake. For the stock I used a McMillan Remington Hunter. I liked the feel the palm swell on my A-Bolt, so I stuck with it on this rifle. I've only started the barrel break-in, shooting 250g Sierra SBT's. 85g of RL22 is giving me 2880fps. As soon as winter leaves this area I'll start some serious load development. Too cold out for the shoot three- scrub clean routine

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.