Muzzle brake accedent!

Rich Coyle

This is what happens to your lunch when you leave half and fire your rifle on the next table. I didn't realize the gas would scatter my lunch. Life is rough for an old man, at times.

20180609_112611_Film1 (1).jpg

I had a foam drink cup next to my muzzlebrake once. The cup was in pieces after the shot with the bottom still intact with a little drink. I drank it lol

A shooter who had the bench next to me a a public range put a SS hose clamp around the holes on his brake to determine if using the brake effected accuracy. One shot and the clamp blew off with pieces flying in different directions. It was lucky that no one was hit.
I would have never guessed that the escaping gases were that powerful.

A couple of years ago, I was at the range with my .270 AI (pushing the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS and sports a JP Enterprise MB). I was using the bench closest to the sign in sheet area and I warned a guy that I am about to pull the trigger, he said he has ear plugs and used to muzzle blasts in a cocky kind of way. So I said "alrighty then" and pulled the trigger. The guy jumped and almost hit the post and dropping the clip board; after he picked up the clip board, he gave me the look and walked away. I pretended that I never saw it but was laughing inside. :D

I just had a 30Nosler built. Ordinarily, that would warrant a quality brake to make shooting more comfortable and to keep the scope away from my eye. o_O
However, the down-sides of using a brake outweighed the benefits and I chose to do without one. Brakes are a BIG compromise IMO.

Last edited:
A fellow with a .50 set up next to me, I had sense enough to be a few yards behind him, but left heavier objects on the bench. Enough blast to flip a full box of .338 RUM off the table with room to spare. Cured my .50 fantasy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.