Must haves for long range...

deerhunter61

Shooting and hunting.

Guys,

Once you get a great long range rifle and scope what are the must haves in order to accurately hit the target out to 1200 yards?

Mel

going to need a good laser for that range,wind meter,ballistic program,rest system.

Shooting and hunting.

what are the must haves in order to accurately hit the target out to 1200 yards?

Mel

a solid understanding on how a bullet will or will not change trajectory due to the environmental conditions. Practice helps, so does the understanding of ballistics.

A solid understanding of ballistics and your equipment, a ballistic program...the equipment to measure the environmental standards accurately for input into said ballistic program and "rounds down range"

Jordan@406

A solid understanding of ballistics and your equipment, a ballistic program...the equipment to measure the environmental standards accurately for input into said ballistic program and "rounds down range"

Jordan@406
Yep. You can have the best equipment money can buy but without a good understanding of ballistics and how different environmental conditions can affect the bullet downrange and experience shooting in all sorts of conditions you're still basically a monkey with a box of dynamite.

There is no substitute for experience.

If a guy is looking for shortcuts to "get there" the best thing someone can do is attend a good long range shooting school.

They are not cheap but the savings in ammo, sore shoulders, and burnt up barrels more than makes it worthwhile even for a guy on a budget.

Shooting and hunting.

Guys,

Once you get a great long range rifle and scope what are the "must haves" in order to accurately hit the target out to 1200 yards?

Mel

YMMV, esp. in the ballistic measuring equipment (BCs published, actual, etc ., is complex and will further complicate by human factors and emotions :D:D:D), be patient and you'll see I mean. :cool:

There's no short cut and it does not happen overnight, as WR (nailed it) noted, practice, practice, practice ...

Having a good spotter afield to help you never hurts. A few years ago, I was out elk hunting with a buddy and we spotted a 3 cow elk 400 yards away. There's a small window of opportunity for a shot but when she moved in while feeding, the only shot I have was an a** shot. When I asked my buddy where the other 2 were, I didn't get no response after a couple of questions, I looked up (I'm in prone position), he had his ears covered and can't hear me ... can't blame him though. :rolleyes:

No elk that day. :)

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting. Cheers!

A bipod
Shooting mat of some kind
Scope level (already mentioned)
A chronograph to make sure your extreme spread is low

A range day at 100 yards where you shoot at a vertical line drawn with a level or plumb line to ensure your scope is tracking straight vertical and also that the turrets move as calibrated

A friend to help spot at 1200

A kestrel will help a lot. The cheap one works if you get applied ballistics on your phone to input all the atmospheric data into.

Practice...

a solid understanding on how a bullet will or will not change trajectory due to the environmental conditions. Practice helps, so does the understanding of ballistics.

I agree here and will add once you have the rifle and all needed equipment that can be purchased, then comes the commitment to build YOUR personal skills. You can get some darn good training from attending one of the many schools/classes. But they can only give you the education to start building your own personal skills. Again these skills can not be purchased like a rifle, optics or other gear. This is the part that does not get enough attention and without proper developed skills the most accurate rifle in the world is handicapped.

Also it is the duty of the precision hunter to know his bullet and know it well. Know the projectile you choose and why you chose it. There are many good choices but some will fit into your personal set of criteria better than others. Once chosen know how it will perform on game at different impact velocities. Know when and at what impact velocity to put it in the crease behind the shoulder or when your chosen bullet might expand better if placed in the shoulder. No one bullet is perfect under all conditions, but know the one you are using and use it to the absolute best of your advantage.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.