Must have gun feature

Hello all,

Been lurking in the forums here for the last couple of months. I'm interested in getting in to the long range shooting/hunting. Basically starting from the ground up.

When looking at back country/long range hunting rifles, what is the must have feature you look for and why? I feel like weight is importent, but don't want to skimp on quality barrel, action, etc for the sake of saving weight. Looking for some opinions.

Appreciate your time.
300 wsm or 7mm in a light weight cooper rifle

Over the years Ive accumulated a little of everything in my rifle configurations. The shortest "big game" rifle I currently own is a 22" 7mm-08, and the longest and heaviest is a 26"bbl in a 300WM, and several others falling somewhere in between.

Hunting is my first thought in building a rifle but I also factor in other things like a varmint contour bbl because I spend a good deal of time shooting all of my rifles on steel out to 1200yds as well. That being said lighter is certainly more handy if you are moving around a lot and dealing with the elements but there's a reason long barrels and heavier stocks have a place in the bigger calibers. I've personally found my sweet spot right in the middle.

My favorite rifle of them all is a 26" 7RM in a Manners EH1. It has enough speed and power for the bigger animals and is very capable well past 800yds without kicking my brains out at the range.

I'm currently building another rifle (6GT) but went with the McMillan Game Warden in carbon fiber for weight. It feels really good in hand and also has enough back bone to be solid off the bench for extended range sessions.

Hello all,

Been lurking in the forums here for the last couple of months. I'm interested in getting in to the long range shooting/hunting. Basically starting from the ground up.

When looking at back country/long range hunting rifles, what is the must have feature you look for and why? I feel like weight is importent, but don't want to skimp on quality barrel, action, etc for the sake of saving weight. Looking for some opinions.

Appreciate your time.
Hey, I new to the game myself, check out tikka tx3 rifles, I've got a tx3 lite stainless in 6 5 cm with a nikon p5 3x12x42sf BDC with an aftermarket 5rd. clip and quake claw sling comes in at 7.6lbs, it's also super accurate and you can pick 1 up gunbroker for around 7 Bill's and change.

If barrel length is an issue, it has never been for me as I run barrels as long as 32", then a good balance is 22"-24" in a non magnum calibre and 24"-26" for a magnum calibre.
With the SAUM/WSM cases, you CAN go even shorter without losing anything.
I will be barreling one of my Sendero II switch barrel rifles in 6.5 GAP 4s this year, the cartridge intrigues me and I already have 264WM & 6.5x47. I have a 30" blank 8" twist barrel 6.5 rough chambered in 6.5-284 I have never used...good candidate I think.

Cheers.

After reading this thread, I realized a rifle that meets these criteria:
1. Three position safety
2. Locking bolt
3. Three Lug bolt
4. Well bedded from the factory
5. Trigger adjusts down to 2 lbs and has no creep; breaks like glass.
6. Accurate
7. 22" barrel in standard (6 lbs 7 oz) and 24" in magnum (6 lbs 9 oz)

The Sauer 100 http://www.jpsauer-usa.com/sauer-100-2/

After reading this thread, I realized a rifle that meets these criteria:
1. Three position safety
2. Locking bolt
3. Three Lug bolt
4. Well bedded from the factory
5. Trigger adjusts down to 2 lbs and has no creep; breaks like glass.
6. Accurate
7. 22" barrel in standard (6 lbs 7 oz) and 24" in magnum (6 lbs 9 oz)

The Sauer 100 http://www.jpsauer-usa.com/sauer-100-2/
great rifles and the m18 to. I had my 6.5prc m18 out last week testing some loads, wish I had more then 9 power scope tho.

IMG_20200614_162819_hdr.jpg

This may be a topic for another thread... But how do you tell a quality gun. Such as, it meets the check boxes for needs, then how do you tell it's a quality build?

Generally this day in age the price is indicative of the features or quality. Every now and then there are outliers to this rule but they are rare I think. (Ie a cheap rifle that shoots great or a reputable quality rifle that shoots bad).

For what you've described, a $600-1400 rifle would probably suite you best. 6.5, 7mm, or 30 caliber would do well. Lots of choices on cartridge. Sounds like you don't reload. Quality factory ammo is likely your route so I'd choose the cartridge accordingly. 30-06, 300 win, 300 WSM, 7 rem mag, 7wsm, 280, 280AI, 6.5x284, 6.5 RSAUM..... the list is endless and all would do the job well.

My personal recommendation would be 7 rem mag, then 300 win mag, then 280.

What people have said about barrel length needs some clarification to me. Barrel choices are a constant compromise decision. Heavy holds well, but it's heavy to carry. Fluting reduces weight but it's expensive. Longer length increases muzzle velocity but it adds length you have to maneuver.

But I understand what they're saying...in most cartridges 4-6 inches of barrel isn't going to make or break anything performance wise. It will still be accurate. It will still kill an animal. Then general rule of thumb is that 1 inch of barrel is worth 25fps MV.

The only other advice I have is that if this becomes a growing interest for you the Remington 700 is one of the most popular actions to build a custom off of.

Good luck

I think the only must have feature is that it must go "bang" when the trigger has enough pressure applied with the bullet hitting where its pointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.