Murphy Precision vs. Nightforce Scope Bases

redneckclimbing

In terms of making an action more "stiff" which would be the better choice? I understand the idea of the integral recoil lug on the Nightforce to alleviate some of the force against the base screws. However, that comes with the cost of elongated holes that would not provide any mechanical advantage against the flex of the action.

On the other hand Murphy Precision (or similar) has an 8-40 screw instead of the 6-48. The new holes would be machined to precisely match the bases holes and provide an actual mechanical advantage against the flex of the action.

Are the 8-40 screws big enough to handle this stress on a Rem 700 chambered in 338 Norma Mag?

I use Nightforce 20 MOA bases exclusively on all my 700 short action builds - and I've yet to encounter a problem.

And also, they ARE available from NF with 8/40 screws instead of the 6/48 version. I have personally used one on a .338 Lapua rifle with only lowly 6/48 screws, even carrying a heavy 34mm scope on top, and never shifted a bit! I personally think that is due to the internal recoil lug.

I would prefer if NF would use full "bars" going across the top rather than having that "lightening" cut going down the center (just like the Badger Ordnance bases), to give more purchase when you but the ring up against a lug for installation - but again, I've not had any problems with scopes being out of alignment windage-wise.

I've had one action that I had the scope optically centered, but needed almost 3 mils of left adjustment to zero at 100 yards - which is unacceptable to me, but upon inspection I found that the problem didn't lie with the NF base or ultralight rings, but the base holes were drilled slightly off center from the factory (the furthest one forward). I was able to loosen the base and move it slightly to the right to correct this - the base's holes were just large enough to allow enough movement to correct for out of spec receivers (to an extent). I then bedded the base to the action with some Brownell's Steel Bed, and the rifle has remained flawless to this day.

As for Murphy bases, I have yet to use one personally, so I won't comment there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.