Multipurpose Scope for AR?

webs

I've been looking at scopes to put on a new AR and I think I have settled on the Leupold AR 3-9 with mill dots. Does anyone have any experience with this scope or any suggestions for other scopes? I kind of like the fact that it comes with a 55 gr fmj turret. The scope will be used for some tactical shooting and prairie dog shooting.

I can't give you an answer, only some questions.

Which AR? "AR" covers rifles from an AR-22 in 22LR to an AR-50 in 50 BMG. How much recoil wil the scope need to withstand?
An "AR" can weight from 3 pounds like a carbon 15 pistol to 25+ pounds. What does the scope weigh? How far do you have to carry them? How much can or do you want to carry?
An AR" can have a useful range from 200 yards to a mile+ . How much vertical adjustment does it need? Can you use the scope to help estimate wind speed and wind deflection?

The characteristics of the target, such as it's distance, its motion, it's size, its visibility, how long it's likely to be visible, d and the time of day it might be visible have more to do with scope selection than what rifle is used.

I'm not surprised you haven't received an answer. I have AR-15s with many sights and scopes from metallic peep sites to an AN/PVS-12 night vision scope. There are $30 Chinese scopes which may be fine for plinking rabbits in garden or situations where nothing less than a $30,000 thermal scope would do the job. There is no multipurpose scope which will do a good job on all targets at all distances in all lighting conditions especially if quick target acquisition and range finding are required.

If you state the cartridge you're using and more importantly the target and general situation you'll l get a lot better answer. What do you consider "tactical"? To me that can mean QCB at under 25 yards, sniping at 1000+ yards, plus everything in between No one scope does all of that well. What sights might work best for prairie dogs mostly depends on the terrain you're trying to control.

Last edited:
It's a Stag Arms lefty with a 16" barrel. I guess I plan on shooting 25 yds to 500 yds. The only problem I see with the scope is that it has 1/2 MOA adjustment. and I don't know if this is actually a problem I won't be shooting a large amount with this gun at long range. I like mil dots to help hold for wind since it seems that there is never a calm day in North Dakota.

Though I have no direct experience, 9x is probably too low for prairie dogs at 500 yards. That is a very small target, and very far away.

Regarding the turret aimed toward the 55gr fmj, that is great as long as the loads you shoot match the turret exactly. And that is rare.

You might have more luck with a 4-16, or even a 6-24 depending on what you will be shooting up close.

You may want better resolution requiring higher magnification not so much for aiming but for determining an animal's species. There are already places where some species of prairie dogs are protected.

you need to be able to clearly identify whatever you're hunting. I remember a case in Missouri where a "hunter" brought an angora goat though a checkpoint with a deer tag attached, though I doubt higher scope magnification would have helped.

3-9 will be OK but u'll be yearning for higher power for 500-yd. prairie dogs, no question about it--especially when they're laying on their mounds or feeding in the grass. I have a Weaver V16 on my AR now and love it, but i'm not sure it's available in the MD reticle. I also have a 6-18x Nikon Buckmasters optic on a 17 Fireball XP-100 that i love. The main reason i like it is that the mil-dot is cald. for a power lower than the highest which means that at 18x the dot is basically a 1/2" dot instead of 3/4ths. and the subtension betweeen dots becomes 2.4 IPHY. I also run turret for elevation and reticle for windage with this optic for prairie dogs.

I think I am just going to get a Sightron II Big Sky in 3-12x42 mil dot and then get a turret from Kenton Industries. That way I will still have decent glass and 1/4 MOA instead of 1/2 MOA on the Leupold Mark AR's. I also have a Remington in 22-250 running a 6.5-20 Alaskan Guide. The glass isn't the best but it isn't to bad for the price since I bought it when I was 16.

I think I am just going to get a Sightron II Big Sky in 3-12x42 mil dot and then get a turret from Kenton Industries. That way I will still have decent glass and 1/4 MOA instead of 1/2 MOA on the Leupold Mark AR's. I also have a Remington in 22-250 running a 6.5-20 Alaskan Guide. The glass isn't the best but it isn't to bad for the price since I bought it when I was 16.

Sounds like a good choice. I am about to buy a Nikon Monarch 4x16, SF with mildot. It has enough field of view for close stuff & enough power for PD shooting. I have a very accurate RRA 24" Varmiter.

looks like a good choice should much happier with that one

Sounds like a good choice. I am about to buy a Nikon Monarch 4x16, SF with mildot. It has enough field of view for close stuff & enough power for PD shooting. I have a very accurate RRA 24" Varmiter.
Plus 1 on the Monarch. It's about the best glass going for the price, plus ya get the lifetime warrantee. I've had one on a Rock River AR for about 3000 rounds and it's still holding a prefect zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts