Multiple powders producing good staring groups

merbeau

I have started to work up a load for my Browning A Bolt II in 300 Win Mag and had a first for me happen while testing. I am using Cutting Edge MTH 180 grain bullets with Nosler brass and WW Mag primers.

I went to the range with test loads for Alliant RL 25, H1000, IMR 4831 and IMR 7828. To my astonishment only IMR 7828 did not produce any acceptable groups of 1.0 inch or less. Al the other powders produced great starting groups with RL 25 the best at 0.75 inches. I am going to pursue further testing of RL 25.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Robert

All the time with my old Sendero in 7mm stw. One time I shot 9 different test groups into the same target paper at 100 yards and all were in the 1/2 to 3/4 moa range.

Your rifle is happy with that bullet; relish it.... It doesn't happen every day. Just make sure you test in varying conditions before you settle on a permanent load.

When people were shooting 300 Win Mag in long range matches, 180's shot most accurate with 71 or 72 grains of IMR4350. None of the slower powders did as well. A little more muzzle velocity with slower powders but spread was too much causing vertical shot stringing.

Other stick powders these days at that same speed may well work; RL19 maybe.

I have started to work up a load for my Browning A Bolt II in 300 Win Mag and had a first for me happen while testing. I am using Cutting Edge MTH 180 grain bullets with Nosler brass and WW Mag primers.

I went to the range with test loads for Alliant RL 25, H1000, IMR 4831 and IMR 7828. To my astonishment only IMR 7828 did not produce any acceptable groups of 1.0 inch or less. Al the other powders produced great starting groups with RL 25 the best at 0.75 inches. I am going to pursue further testing of RL 25.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Robert

This happened with a couple of my rifles, but the powders that did not produce any good groups was Retumbo and H1000. 7828 has been an excellent powder for me. I recently picked up some 7977, and can't wait to try it out.

My buddy's factory SPS .300WM shot sub-MOA out of the same exact jug of H1000...So my only conclusion is that some barrels just do not like some powders & bullets.

Hard to argue with MudRunners comments about different guns. My guns love Retumbo, H-1000 not so much. Each gun has its own personality. Sort of like wives.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts