Mulie @ 460

kcebcj

My son and I were going up to a high point behind the place to plan the next morning's hunt for deer when he spotted a buck across the canyon. The rut had started and the buck was going along with his nose to the ground and had no idea or cared that we were there. We kept watching him and I made the comment that he looked pretty high but not that wide maybe 26. After a bit my son says no he's wider than that. It's funny thinking back how the conversation escalated till my son says can you hit him from here? I ranged him and he was 350 yards and said you bet. I only had 4 shells in the rifle and they were 200gr Accubond as I had shot all the 165's and had just loaded them for the next day's hunt.

I leaned over the quad resting the rifle on my backpack that was strapped to the front and fired. Nothing he didn't move just looked around and kept moving slow. Fired again and same thing. He looked around and then returned to the business of finding a doe. I fired the third shot and he just stopped and looked around. I stood up and said a few choice words. He had moved up the hill quite a ways so I ranged him again. I grabbed the rifle and held it so I could see the turret and crap it was sitting on zero. I had neglected to crank in the dope for the 350 yards. He was now at 460 yards. I dialed 5.50 and got back on him. He stopped broadside and I let it go. He was going straight downhill as hard as he could go and piled up after about 50 yards. It was a perfect lung shot and the 200gr Accubond really tore things up and went clear through.

The buck is 29 inches wide and 20 inches high straight up. The rifle is a Pre 64 Mdl 70 30-06.

YouTube - 460 Yard Buck 2010

Nice video and a great buck! Was the grass in his mouth when you shot him or did he pick that up in a death slide?

Nice video and a great buck! Was the grass in his mouth when you shot him or did he pick that up in a death slide?

I had slid him down the hill about a 100 yards to a little flat spot before the second part of the video was taken. He picked the grass up then as he was not feeding prior to taking him.

Jim,
Congrats!!!
Very nice buck, I am jealous!!!
Nice shoot.gun) As you said 460 yards, not too shabby, LOL:D
Nice video. Is thats your hunting horse also?
Thanks for sharing.

Many Congrats! Good tall tines and width too. Wonderful representative Muley!:D

After reading the story, I find myself LMAO.......not at you, but with you I hope. This past season we found ourselves holding for the changes in wind (after we'd dialed in the past condition) the wrong way a time or two! Funny what happens when "the fever" get ahold of ya huh? LoL!!

Again, Congratulations on a dandy mule deer, and thanks for posting the video.

Many Congrats! Good tall tines and width too. Wonderful representative Muley!:D

After reading the story, I find myself LMAO.......not at you, but with you I hope. This past season we found ourselves holding for the changes in wind (after we'd dialed in the past condition) the wrong way a time or two! Funny what happens when "the fever" get ahold of ya huh? LoL!!

Again, Congratulations on a dandy mule deer, and thanks for posting the video.

You know this dial the scope thing and stick out your tongue out too check the wind is pretty new to me. On top of that put a layer of excitement and you have a perfect mixture for mistakes. Big bucks have always got me going even though I thought this buck was around 26" it was really fun and when I got to him the smile just got bigger.

Have to develop a process from the moment the range finder comes out until one shoots and practice that. The slowest thing I noticed is the range finder. Gonna have a holster made that I can put on the backpack strap or a belt so it's easy to get to.

I'm right there on lessons learned about trying to remember things in the heat of the moment. A couple years ago I shot a big bull @ 642 using a ballistic plex reticle. I had done good and the first shot was a good hit but he was still on his feet going away. He ended up stopping broadside and I emptied my gun with him just standing there with his head down but couldn't touch him. To my relief he laid down and expired and only then did I even think about ranging him again. He was now at 800 yds. Whew - lesson learned I hope.

Jim,
Congrats!!!
Very nice buck, I am jealous!!!
Nice shoot.gun) As you said 460 yards, not too shabby, LOL:D
Nice video. Is thats your hunting horse also?
Thanks for sharing.

Hey HUAINAMACHERO
The horse in the video is mainly my pack horse. He's very good at what he does and the most personable horse I have as you could see. No matter where I'm at he will find me and just hang out even plays with the dogs. Really cool!

Congrats on the nice buck and a great hunt with your son!

Chuckling here about the dial-up... I think a lot of us have been there. Yeah, I carry the rangefinder on my belt. Have been using it long enough that it's pretty standard for me to just grab the rangefinder, then spin the dial on the scope - if I'm carrying that rifle.

Often I'll just pre-set my 300 yard dope on a rifle and hunt with it that way most of the time. Dialing only if I'm trying to make a shot way the heck out there.

Regards, Guy

Great post, season and buck.

I could go on for a lot of words about different goof's I've made! So far none have cost me any game. Just an embarrassing miss on a rock.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.