Mule Deer in WY:Region C

webofire

Group of guys looking at making first trip out West to hunt mule deer this fall. We are considering hunting in Region C: Buffalo/Gillette area. WY DNR said that region is usually guaranteed a tag, is this because not many people hunt that area or a lack of deer? Looking for any helpfull info about WY hunting.

THX-web

I have hunted that area since 1990 and have drawn a tag every year. The problem you might have is that a lot of that region is private property. that is why it is easier to draw the tag. so unless you have a private ranch to hunt on public land is a little tough but can be done. Their are a lot of state leases around the area but some access to them is a little tricky and may require some land owner permission and or fee to access. I personally hunt on private land but my first year out i had twenty names of ranches that would allow hunting ( because i called them in advance) drove out their 3 days before hunting season and visited the rancher first hand and looked at the ranches. then made my mind up just which one i was going to hunt. Since then i have become great friends with the rancher and have hunted on his land ever since.
A lot of the public land is hunted pretty heavy. i would say antelope would be a lot easier then mule deer. Just sit down with your buddies and decide what area with in region c you want to hunt. then get some names of Ranchers from the DNR that allows hunting. and start calling them. The state land can always be a back up plan. just my two cents

I hunted hard N of Gillette this last year and didn't pull the trigger. Private and public land. Had a long winter with a late spring. Talked to the Biologist while hunting. We lost perhaps 40% of the deer herd North of Gillette. I would focus further south. Access is tough as has been mentioned. Talk to the WGF and look for the rancher lists. Go a few days early and look at the properties available. Southern Black Hills would be better. Bruce

Thanks for the advice guys! We were leaning towards region c because of the terrain being flatter as my uncle and dad may have trouble getting around in other areas. Is that accurate? Also any advice on cabins or places to stay besides a motel? We have a group of 8 and wanted to be together...

Well i actually hunt in just 10 miles from Sheridan and it is not flat All hills.Foot hills of the big horn mountains. So i am not much help for flat land. Also i really do not think you are going to get something to rent that all 8 people can stay in. other than a hotel. If you find a Rancher that will let you hunt. They might let you put up a wall tent that would house all of you. He might even have a a guest house. most do not but some due. i will give you a clue though the last two years it has been hot during hunting season 70's to 90 degrees. however 3 years ago i believe they got 20" of snow the 3rd day of the season and it never left until spring. So you will have to be prepared for any kind of weather. not sure where you are from but also when it gets hot the snakes do come out, i have encounter my share. not to deter you but just something to keep in mind. i love hunting out west their is just nothing like it compared to the midwest.

Okay! I will have to do some more research. From Michigan so used to the inconsistant weather but didn't realize it could be that warm in Oct. Do you know of any ranchers off hand? Or have any other recommendations for us, as we don't have our heart set on region c.

Thx-again

I personally love Region C so i would not pick any other Region. Now with that said i also love the hills and mountains. one thing that will surprise you is how far you can see. even in the hills county. i have killed mule deer in Wy. at 200 yards or less but believe me 300-400 yards is a very very common shot. and if you are planning on shooting a larger animal in the area you are hunting you will probably have to reach out and get him. The old saying he did not get that big for being dumb does apply. i shot my two biggest deer over 500 yards. Good quality GLASS is a must. most of your hunting will be sitting and looking. I can not stress that enough. not that you won't get the job done because i have. I have never not killed out ever and the hunting stories and adventures are priceless. My suggestion is you gotta go.

I received the landowner list and made some calls, what area # by Sheridan do you hunt? I talked to 2 landowners in area 26 and was told the past 2 years there is no deer around. Same from a couple people in 29 by Kaycee. I know everyone has a different opinion but hearing from someone who has hunted the area first had is what I'll listen to. I just don't want to disappoint 7 other guys by hunting the wrong area.

I hunt area 23 and yes the last 2 years the numbers have gone down a lot
but Their is still some quality deer around. We killed 4 deer last year that was very nice 4x4 and one 4 x3. however with that being said. i have hunted the same property 3,000 acres for 20 years. So i like to think i understand how to hunt it.
You can not hunt mule deer like whitetail. no walking and scouting if you do you will run the deer off the property and they probably will not come back. you scout them with good glass. bino's and spotting scope. Not sure if you are hunting mule deer or antelope? With Mule deer it is funny they will hide under the smallest bush or Rock. patients is a great key. Mule deer do uses their eyes more then their nose. It always helps if the ranch you hunt has a food source like alfalfa and if it would happen to have water on it that is a bonus. It is hunting not just shooting just like at home i do not see a shooter buck everytime i walk out on the ranch.
I totally understand that you want to make a great trip for all of your friends and family. but besides deer hunting we usually shoot prairie dogs and also do some coyote hunting. I also just enjoy doing some long range shooting. which is the perfect place for it. We set targets out to 1400 yards and shoot them.
So for us now we still usually take a mature buck but we just enjoy doing things that we just can't do in Indiana.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.