Mule deer caliber

Thanks for the help guys. Any recommendations on which shooting sticks to bring out west? I have tried the primos trigger sticks but they didn't feel very steady, even at 100 yards
4stableSticks. The sitting version works great for prairie dogs and gophers out to 400 yards (22-6mm) I harvested 4 mule deer this year using standing sticks all between 200 to 300 yards

I've killed over 10 mule deer with the 25-06. I've also used 6.5 cm on 3 and I've used a .270, 300 win mag, and 7 rem mag on a few others. Inside 400 yards the deer won't know the difference. I will say that the 7 rem mag with 195 bergers definitely anker's them pretty dang good. The 25-06 just strait kills stuff. I'm shooting a 117 interlock at 3060fps. I've taken an elk and two bears with it also. Longest shot was 327 yards. Hope this helps

I booked my first mule deer hunt and was wondering which caliber I should use. My first deer gun is a 25-06 shooting 117 Hornady SSTs and has killed every whitetail ever shot very fast. My second is the 6.8 western shooting 175 grain Sierra game kings. Both guns shoot around 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100. My 25-06 has a swarovski 3.5x18 and the 6.8 has a nightforce nx8 2.5x20. The swaro is definitely better for getting on the target fast but the nx8 can let me dial out way further. The guide did say most shots will be out to 100 but occasionally have to shoot further. For those of you who have shot Mule deer, which one would you choose?
I'd Recommend selling both of them & buy/ build a Real nice 280AI but I'm kinda Goofy.

I killed more deer with a 25-06 than you can shake a stick at. Great Caliber with good bullets for Mule Deer. Don't know much about the 6.8 but if your guide says most shots at 100 yards then you should be fine with just about all standard deer caliber rifles. I would make sure you are proficient out to at least 300 yards if not 400 just to make sure. You would hate to see the buck of a lifetime at 350 yards and miss it.
Good Luck!

All good answers to your question, with a few extra tidbits of alternative calibers thrown in for free. Here's mine - I've taken more animals, specifically deer, with the 257 calibers than anything else. That would include the 250 Savage: the 257 Roberts, and the 25:06. Species would include the Blacktail; the Whitetail: and the Muley. I have larger and smaller calibers, but the 25's are such a joy to shoot and they kill so effectively… what more need I say…

Which one do you shoot the best in the field is the one I would take. Context of my hunting West Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming open country mostly. My first dozen years and 2x that many mule deer was a 270 Win and 130 Hornady. Follow that with a couple of dozen more years using 264 Win Mag and 140 Nosler taking easily 2x that number of deer, definitely liked it better than the 270 at 400+ ranges. Followed that with my 25-06 and 120 Noslers today. Almost all have been one shot, DRT hits. Take what you shoot the best. Any combo you mentioned will take mulie, it's up to you and shot placement.

I booked my first mule deer hunt and was wondering which caliber I should use. My first deer gun is a 25-06 shooting 117 Hornady SSTs and has killed every whitetail ever shot very fast. My second is the 6.8 western shooting 175 grain Sierra game kings. Both guns shoot around 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100. My 25-06 has a swarovski 3.5x18 and the 6.8 has a nightforce nx8 2.5x20. The swaro is definitely better for getting on the target fast but the nx8 can let me dial out way further. The guide did say most shots will be out to 100 but occasionally have to shoot further. For those of you who have shot Mule deer, which one would you choose?

Great to hear that you're all booked up, is it easy for you to get the license?

If you don't mind me asking to what state and what outfit are you going to be hunting?

Side note, I find it kind of interesting that the shots will be from 100 yards on in..........?

Your 25 is a good friend that's what I'd take. Our family uses our 22/250 for 90% of our game taking. The 22/250 works great, so will your 25

Take the rifle that is easiest to shoot and quickest to get into action. Too many shots are missed by shooters being too slow with heavy complicated guns festooned with sniper wanna be paraphernalia. Scope caps, slings, bipods and other paraphernalia's should all be removed. Scopes put on 4 power or less, if being driven in a vehicle, a loaded clip should be in your hand. When game is spotted close by, you need to respond instantaneously if so required, since at close ranges they don't hang around very long. A handy little sporter in a .308, 7/08 or 260, 270, 25-06 with a light weight 3x9 scope set at 4 power probably would serve you better.
Just my .002 worth

B578A799-5509-4DDA-92B8-30192BAAD95D.jpeg

I shot this deer with a 115gr ballistic tip from a 257wby, right in the chest at 70yards, caught part of his heart and he ran a 100yards. When I was 16 I shot a mule deer at about the same range in the chest with a 308 and 180gr corelokt, knocked him right down. So I'd definitely recommend your 6.8

Like said , whichever rifle you shoot best and have the most and best data and experience with. The 270 has a solid edge at distance tho. But did the guide really say most shots inside 100 yards?
Bipods, I highly recommend a spartan precision with a flush gunsmith adapter. Handy in vest pocket but out of the way for still hunting and super light. And bring trekking poles but experiment with them and looping the handle to use as shooting sticks.
Also, run some drills , timing yourself , to go: from hiking with pack, gun on sling or however you hunt, to getting two accurate shots off at just 100 yards..in prone position, prone over pack , seated over top of pack.
The first time thru the drill will likely be EXTREMELY eye opening at how much fumbling with buckles and slings and rangefinders happens.
Start time at go, remove pack,do things, shoot , stop time.
I run this with a 22 also once in a while for a humbling experience.
Sorry for the late response. I was waiting to make sure I actually got my tag since they only offered 180 of them. Yes, he only let's a couple people hunt his land for rifle season and shots are usually within 100. Of course, some of these guides tell you this stuff to make it sound more attractive. I'm going to zero both rifles at 200 yards but plan on using the 6.8 Western as my #1 choice mainly because I have killed a lot of deer with my 25-06 so want to test out the 6.8 with the 175 Sierras. I like the drill advice, thanks for that.

Last edited:
Great to hear that you're all booked up, is it easy for you to get the license?

If you don't mind me asking to what state and what outfit are you going to be hunting?

Side note, I find it kind of interesting that the shots will be from 100 yards on in..........?

Your 25 is a good friend that's what I'd take. Our family uses our 22/250 for 90% of our game taking. The 22/250 works great, so will your 25
Yeah, I was very surprised he said 100 yards isn't a problem but last time I went to Nebraska I was sighted in for 600 and shot my whitetail at 7 yards so maybe it's not uncommon?

Last edited:
Either are perfect for mule deer. I would go 6.8W but am a 270 fan. That being said use which rifle you like better.

Why change for a 25/06 to sometime that you are not use to. It's an easy 500yd rifle. 270 in a little bigger bullet and they are great rifles for deer and do the same thing. I would be surprise if you couldn't close the distant down to under 500yds any day of the week. Except across a canyon. I have found it the mule isn't push to hard they will stop and look back at you. Trying to lay down and shoot in brush country good luck. Learn to sit and shoot. You can lighten on gear. Range finder is good. I when for years without a range finder using either 2 x7 or 2x8 duplex and learn what a deer looks like the scope at the higher powers. I could instance determine the distance to the deer. I did it from a few yards to 500yds. Almost all one shot kills. Hit in the heart yes they can move out a 100yds or so. I learned to sit down and do most of my hunting with a pair of binoculars. It did the walking for me.