Mule deer caliber

tknuts103

I booked my first mule deer hunt and was wondering which caliber I should use. My first deer gun is a 25-06 shooting 117 Hornady SSTs and has killed every whitetail ever shot very fast. My second is the 6.8 western shooting 175 grain Sierra game kings. Both guns shoot around 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100. My 25-06 has a swarovski 3.5x18 and the 6.8 has a nightforce nx8 2.5x20. The swaro is definitely better for getting on the target fast but the nx8 can let me dial out way further. The guide did say most shots will be out to 100 but occasionally have to shoot further. For those of you who have shot Mule deer, which one would you choose?

I booked my first mule deer hunt and was wondering which caliber I should use. My first deer gun is a 25-06 shooting 117 Hornady SSTs and has killed every whitetail ever shot very fast. My second is the 6.8 western shooting 175 grain Sierra game kings. Both guns shoot around 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100. My 25-06 has a swarovski 3.5x18 and the 6.8 has a nightforce nx8 2.5x20. The swaro is definitely better for getting on the target fast but the nx8 can let me dial out way further. The guide did say most shots will be out to 100 but occasionally have to shoot further. For those of you who have shot Mule deer, which one would you choose?
25 06

I have taken tons of mule deer over the years with my 6.5's. 6.5x55, 260 Rem, 264 mag. Also many elk along the way. High BC bullets for flat shooting. 120 to 130gr copper mono bullets , with light recoil. "Did I mention light recoil". Larger the dia of a bullet , the heavier a bullet has to be for a similar BC of a smaller cal. Like the differebce between a .264 & a .277 bullet. Most reasonable cal's will work. Most important factor is proper bullet placement.

I use to say a bullet puts the fight in a whitetail and takes the fight out of a mulie but a few big mulies have given me a lot more respect for the energy they can walk away from.
The one you can get on target the fastest! If the guild is telling you 100 yards, listen. Its easier to get closer than chase a missed opportunity.

Thanks for the help guys. Any recommendations on which shooting sticks to bring out west? I have tried the primos trigger sticks but they didn't feel very steady, even at 100 yards

Using a spotting scope? I smack it down to 90 degrees and use that or a hog saddle on a Tripod if the bipod doesn't cut it. Pops took one off the spotting scope this year.

My 12 y/o grandson just killed, a nice, Fat 3 X 4 Muley at, 265 yards with, a .243 Win., Lefty ( his grandpa's ) Tikka, T-3 lite with, Berger 87 gr. HVLD's,.. DRT.
He was laying Prone, Rifle was rested over, his dad's EXO Pack, "stuffed" with, Coats, shirts, sleeping Pad, Kill kit, etc. and using,.. a TOE rest.
We use, Hunters Specialties WOOD Stix, or, Trekking Poles lashed together, when sitting on, a Hillside, as most mule Deer country is NOT, Flat ( I'd leave, the Tripod Home ). For sitting on Hillsides, use the Stix, put the Pack, on your Chest and "rest" your Rifles "Toe" on it, shove pack upwards, with kneecap to steady !
The .25-06 is Plenty, usually,.. but IF, wanting serious long range and or, real Windy, a .270 something or other, with 140 to 170 grain, Bullets,.. is "better" !
Don't lose any sleep over those 2 Cart's, tho ! I'd USE, whichever,.. You shoot,.. BEST !

Last edited: