Mule deer caliber

Whichever one you feel most comfortable shooting. Both will do the job just fine.

Unacceptable. I think you need to buy a new 7mm something.

No, really any of them will do. I've used my 243 WSSM, 7mm WSM, and 28 Nosler. You'll be fine, no need for more gun than either one of those.

I booked my first mule deer hunt and was wondering which caliber I should use. My first deer gun is a 25-06 shooting 117 Hornady SSTs and has killed every whitetail ever shot very fast. My second is the 6.8 western shooting 175 grain Sierra game kings. Both guns shoot around 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100. My 25-06 has a swarovski 3.5x18 and the 6.8 has a nightforce nx8 2.5x20. The swaro is definitely better for getting on the target fast but the nx8 can let me dial out way further. The guide did say most shots will be out to 100 but occasionally have to shoot further. For those of you who have shot Mule deer, which one would you choose?
6.8 Western. It'll make 'em deader.

Years back 1978 I pulled an elk tag followed immediately by a dual muley tag. My .270 never made on or off the plane. The outfitter told the guide to let me use his backup rifle. Remington 600 Mohawk in .243win. Woe is me. There was no opportunity for me to take any shots with it, I felt woefully undergunned. The guide found me a 3x4 elk about 1000 yards from our horses on the edge of some trees. He said it was a shooter, and at 160 yards he said hold right on this ridge of muscle right behind the shoulder. I sat down next to a small aspen tree, grabbed it with my left hand and laid the rifle on my wrist. I shot when he told me to. The elk just stood there. I cranked in another pipsqueek round and the guide said hold off on the second shot, but keep the crosshairs on him. He said I had made a good shot. Sure enough the elk walked in a circle right then left about 25 yards total. Its front legs buckled and it went over. The ammo was some flavor of Hornady factory stuff with 100gr bullets. later on in the week I filled the two muley tags, a 9 point at 180yds and a long tined 6 point at 110yds. one shot each. I had a new respect for that pipsqueek cartridge. I bought one when I got home and hunt with it still.

I booked my first mule deer hunt and was wondering which caliber I should use. My first deer gun is a 25-06 shooting 117 Hornady SSTs and has killed every whitetail ever shot very fast. My second is the 6.8 western shooting 175 grain Sierra game kings. Both guns shoot around 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100. My 25-06 has a swarovski 3.5x18 and the 6.8 has a nightforce nx8 2.5x20. The swaro is definitely better for getting on the target fast but the nx8 can let me dial out way further. The guide did say most shots will be out to 100 but occasionally have to shoot further. For those of you who have shot Mule deer, ar which one would you choose?
2506 I use 117 sst and 115 nosler partitions and both work great. I feel that the partition is the better better all round bullet but the sst is better for longer range. 2506 is an awesome caliber

I booked my first mule deer hunt and was wondering which caliber I should use. My first deer gun is a 25-06 shooting 117 Hornady SSTs and has killed every whitetail ever shot very fast. My second is the 6.8 western shooting 175 grain Sierra game kings. Both guns shoot around 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100. My 25-06 has a swarovski 3.5x18 and the 6.8 has a nightforce nx8 2.5x20. The swaro is definitely better for getting on the target fast but the nx8 can let me dial out way further. The guide did say most shots will be out to 100 but occasionally have to shoot further. For those of you who have shot Mule deer, which one would you choose?
25-06 is plenty of gun and 117gr bullet is plenty of bullet.
Great choice.
go get you're picture taken.

2506 I use 117 sst and 115 nosler partitions and both work great. I feel that the partition is the better better all round bullet but the sst is better for longer range. 2506 is an awesome caliber
I had great performance with Swift Scirocco's and A-frames. I liked their performance more on game than the Noslers. But I have used the Noslers too. Both brands make em dean.

The same one I use for Whitetail! And like Red said....Take them Both!

Since its a guided hunt and maybe a long shot becomes necessary or a bad angle, I'd take the 6.8 just in case. It's dealing a heavier and higher BC bullet. In the 400-800 yard region the heavier high BC bullet (G1 = .560) is going to out step the lighter low BC bullet (G1 = .390) all day long. Of course there is nothing wrong with the venerable 25-06. It will kill nicely.

Either set up will do the trick with whatever reasonable shot you will be taking on Mule Deer, I would say either one is the optimum for hunting Mule Deer especially the 25-06.

I think I'd go old school, .264 Win Mag, yep... because it was and is still a great cartridge. The second choice, 6.5 Wby Mag... last, and the two I consider the most practical all-around would be the .300 Win Mag or the .300 Wby Mag shots can get a little long, depending on where you hunt and that extra bullet weight won't hurt... or something in their class, remember Muley can get a little on the big size and they can be tougher than all get-out to get a clean kill on at long-range. With that said and as many have said here; what you mention can do the job. Have fun, Cheers.

Last edited:
You can't do much better than a 25-06, 25-06 Ackley Improved, or a .257 Bee for deer sized game. This would include whitetail, mule deer, American wild sheep, mountain goat, and the pronghorn antelope. IMHO