Mule deer 101?

IMG_0689.JPG

This is my biggest buck to date and he's only 142". I scouted most of these one half of summer and only turned up two bucks bigger than him. Ask yourself if you think he's big or small, now you know what you are after. Maybe others can post photos of their bucks with actual scores.
View attachment 117717
Awesome deer! He may only be 142", but the full velvet gives him 40 awesomeness inches!!

Awesome deer! He may only be 142", but the full velvet gives him 40 awesomeness inches!!
I agree, it was top priority for me to locate a good buck and strike early before any chance of bucks shedding. Might never get another opportunity.
A solo archery mulie Hunt is incredibly rewarding and challenging.

Before wolfs hit my area hard 170-80 muley was my benchmark.MY q IMG_0198.JPG uest for muleys didnt start til I was 40 which is late for high country type,Im still after them.Buddy and I shot these same day,we asked each other to go and both went alone to differnt mountains that day

When I moved to Idaho quite a few years back, mulies were almost like pigeons in front of a park bench. Not that way any more. I occasionally do see a fell'a pull out a big'un now and again though.

Before wolfs hit my area hard 170-80 muley was my benchmark.MY q View attachment 118098 uest for muleys didnt start til I was 40 which is late for high country type,Im still after them.Buddy and I shot these same day,we asked each other to go and both went alone to differnt mountains that day
My Heck those are Huge Bucks, the mass of that one in the left..... :-0

Saw a couple bigger frames this day,but tracked this down.Have a real massy 3x4 cant find pictIMG_0022.JPG

Here's the only mulie buck I've ever shot. I mostly shoot does. Anyways I'm not sure what he scores (130-140?)but he was public land DIY and I was happy with him.
C2B44E0A-B437-479F-9429-C20804C8CB25.jpeg

My point is to figure out what you want and then go for it. There are actually some good diy public land hunts available for 3-4 points in a couple different states.

mike 338, I walked up on a straight up perfect typical 180 buck in panhandle,only had elk tag in my pocket.Picked up a guy that came off above on way to camp that was out of state,MT this THAT,talking about his buddy down in.IM LIKE U in IDAHO

This is my biggest buck to date and he's only 142". I scouted most of these one half of summer and only turned up two bucks bigger than him. Ask yourself if you think he's big or small, now you know what you are after. Maybe others can post photos of their bucks with actual scores.
View attachment 117717
Man that's awesome. Did you have that mounted? Awesome in velvet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.