Muck boots for snake bites

I know 3 people that have been bitten while attending bow shoots and hunting. I don't wear snake boots but in some areas I probably should have. I've had a few scares

I used to wear them while coon hunting they were made into hip waders, so had an extra layer on the outside. I had a cotton mouth strike me one night and did not make it into my skin. Keep in mind with my set-up, the snake would have had to bite through a nylon wader material, the muck boot, jeans and my sock. If I was really concerned about it, I would get some actual snake boots.

I'd think a snake would have to have awfully long fangs, and a wide mouth to even bite into a rubber boot, beings they slick, and snake bite would tend to bounce off, or not get traction to bite "into" one.

Down under all snakes are deadly and in some areas there are lots of them I don't know what "muck boots" are however I think we call them "wellington boots" and they will probably help in the US but down here we like to wear gaiters up to the knee because some snakes like to jump up a bit to bit - best learn how to take care of a snake bite

An alternative would be to use a Barrett Model 99 chambered in 416 Barrett. Then you can hunt from the back of your truck past 2,000 yards then the boots won't matter.

At one point (mid '70's) in my life I worked in the woods of Southern Mississippi cruising timber. We saw lots of snakes, several times a week, 3 in one day next to the Tombigbee River in Alabama. Our standard protection was heavy boots, with canvas and aluminum snake chaps from waist to the boots. The lower half of the chaps were aluminium covered with a zipper to secure them over heavy canvas. I carried a sapling of hickory large end down about 2" in diameter as our snake killer, brush club and brier patch defense tool about 5+ feet long.

Last edited:
Down under all snakes are deadly and in some areas there are lots of them I don't know what "muck boots" are however I think we call them "wellington boots" and they will probably help in the US but down here we like to wear gaiters up to the knee because some snakes like to jump up a bit to bit - best learn how to take care of a snake bite
Go do a search for "Muck" boots. They a name brand, but also "mucking" means to clean out horse/cow stalls, so the boots to keep you from getting shitted up, lol. But they also thick, no thin at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts