MT Unlimited

I'm going to assume you're a nonresident and looking to DIY. If that's the case--forget it! Extremely rough country with very few legal rams. Many locals spend 5 yrs. just getting to know the country and might see one ram (not necessarily a legal ram). There's a reason the tags are unlimited. Jack Atcheson used to offer guided hunts in there and if he still does, and you really want to do it, go with an outfitter. But even then, don't expect that you'll kill a ram. Don't want to discourage you, but that's reality.

I'm not a stranger to the mountains. Shot a dall sheep in Alaska a while back. Been goat hunting several times. Didn't bring back a goat on my last hunt either. Thanks for the info.

Aaron

i agree with what was said about it being a hard hunt but it's not something that's impossible. however in the unlimited areas, your chance of finding a legal ram is much slimmer than if you get one in a draw area. if it was me hunting out of state and you are looking for a decent ram and not a huge one i would find the area that gives you the best odds (there published in the regs) and start putting in for that area.

Depending on the tag, you might only have one day to hunt. I have been through the Gallatin area a few times. Never hard to find sheep but I have never seen a legal ram.

I tried it one year. My wife and I spent the summer going into the area north of Big Sky. Never saw another person in there until we went in a couple of days before season opened. There were people there that had been scouting the whole week before opening day. The place was mobbed! Hunted 4 days and never saw a sheep. Got rained out, and came home disgusted. In retrospect, I shouldn't have expected anything else. Mont is that way for all big game. Never see anyone during the summer, and the mountains are mobbed on opening day. I would also advise against going in later in the season. There's a reason there's a ski area 20 miles south, that usually opens before Thanksgiving.
If you want a backpacking hunt, the best one I was on was with Stan Stevens in the NW Territories. My wife and I and our guide backpacked for 9 days. saw over 125 sheep, pased on quite a few and came home with a nice one. You have to be in shape, and insist on a backpacking trip.
George

I have known one person kill in the unlimited.... marginal ram and he went with a guy that basically lived in the country...oh it took him 6 trips...for the amount of money he had invested you could spend 30k and go to BC and have about 40-50% chance of taking a California bighorn...if you got time to burn...then by all means...I don't.

Yessir I hear you on that. Ive started applying here in CO but its probably a bare minimum of 10 years before thats even a real possibility. I have zero expectations for the hunt but the allure of a $1200 sheep tag is hard to pass up while I play the draw game.
From what I hear one of the best ways is to go to the Wild Sheep Show and enter the raffles.

From what I hear one of the best ways is to go to the Wild Sheep Show and enter the raffles.

Yes...I missed this year-but usually go..sign up for the less than one...and some of the other raffles they have there...see the tread on bighorn I posted my sheep strategy there. Good luck..and I'm afraid 10 will not sniff it in CO..best chance is a lotto state like NM....but good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.