Mt. Lion

Daves762

Well there is no CATegory for lions so it's going the Varmint category I guess.
I have tagged along on hunts and seen a few treed before. Very intense pace, up very steep rocky terrain. Finally treed a cat that my much more experienced friend said was a shooter. Used a 30-30 with 160gr FTX single shot through the heart. Packed him out whole. Realized the tag on
Lion Hunt 2014 005.JPG
his foot was gone once I got back to the truck. Had to go track down the tag, don't use zip ties in cold.... meat was delicious don't ever pass it up if you have the opportunity. I'm not a taxidermy kinda guy but the wife talked me into it, telling me I would regret it if I didn't. Just did a rug due to cost. It was one of the most intense experiences of my hunting life. Don't know how much he weighed or scored cause I don't care about that stuff. But for reference I'm 5'8", 190 lbs.
Dave Lion 2014.JPG
Lion Hunt 2014 006.JPG

I have tagged along on hunts and seen a few treed before. Very intense pace, up very steep rocky terrain. Finally treed a cat that my much more experienced friend said was a shooter. Used a 30-30 with 160gr FTX single shot through the heart. Packed him out whole. Realized the tag onView attachment 134592 his foot was gone once I got back to the truck. Had to go track down the tag, don't use zip ties in cold.... meat was delicious don't ever pass it up if you have the opportunity. I'm not a taxidermy kinda guy but the wife talked me into it, telling me I would regret it if I didn't. Just did a rug due to cost. It was one of the most intense experiences of my hunting life. Don't know how much he weighed or scored cause I don't care about that stuff. But for reference I'm 5'8", 190 lbs.View attachment 134590 View attachment 134591
Oh yea looks great, they are definitely a predator N/E Ca.

I have tagged along on hunts and seen a few treed before. Very intense pace, up very steep rocky terrain. Finally treed a cat that my much more experienced friend said was a shooter. Used a 30-30 with 160gr FTX single shot through the heart. Packed him out whole. Realized the tag onView attachment 134592 his foot was gone once I got back to the truck. Had to go track down the tag, don't use zip ties in cold.... meat was delicious don't ever pass it up if you have the opportunity. I'm not a taxidermy kinda guy but the wife talked me into it, telling me I would regret it if I didn't. Just did a rug due to cost. It was one of the most intense experiences of my hunting life. Don't know how much he weighed or scored cause I don't care about that stuff. But for reference I'm 5'8", 190 lbs.View attachment 134590 View attachment 134591

Very cool hunt. I'd love to hunt mt. Lion one day. What is the meat similar in taste to?

What state did you take the lion in?

Very cool hunt. I'd love to hunt mt. Lion one day. What is the meat similar in taste to?

What state did you take the lion in?
Hard to say. Pink meat like pork but with no fat marbling. Lean, tender, light flavor. So like pork, without the fat I guess? It has it's own flavor but it's good. Lion was in MT.

Oh yea looks great, they are definitely a predator N/E Ca.
Yes I talked to a seasoned game warden in central CA nine years ago. He gave a long description of how the game population was decimated by the lions starting shortly after Robert Redford used his money and influence to get them put on the permanent endangered species list. Regardless of how many there are, what problems they cause, how many people they hurt, or how many the game wardens kill in suburbia, the state will never allow tags to be sold. All laws passed by people that are all bleeding heart and no brains and logic.

Nice kitty, well done! Lions will always be a problem, one way or another so careful & knowledgeable management is necessary. There are either too many or not enough and the deer will suffer either way.

They aren't difficult to kill and quite a few hunters in AZ used to use .22 mag handguns on dog hunts Personally, I'd want a bit more punch for something that could bite back! I would want at least what I carry for personal protection, usually .45 Auto with Underwood +P Xtreme Defender ammo.

I'm glad you were able to eat the critter, most folks don't even try, which is sad.
Cheers,
crkckr

I've not had the opportunity to kill one myself. But will second on the they are good eating . On of my very close friends killed one in Colorado and brought it out whole also. And it was superb. He gave me chops and sausage out of it . The sausage was exactly like pork sausage without the fat. And the chops were splendid on the grill careful not to over cook.

Nice kitty, well done! Lions will always be a problem, one way or another so careful & knowledgeable management is necessary. There are either too many or not enough and the deer will suffer either way.

They aren't difficult to kill and quite a few hunters in AZ used to use .22 mag handguns on dog hunts Personally, I'd want a bit more punch for something that could bite back! I would want at least what I carry for personal protection, usually .45 Auto with Underwood +P Xtreme Defender ammo.

I'm glad you were able to eat the critter, most folks don't even try, which is sad.
Cheers,
crkckr
Yes I agree. We live in Grizzly, wolf, wolverine, Lion, country. I know guys who pack just a pistol or bow for lions. I feel under armed with just a 30-30. Considering all the other predators we might run into while pursuing the lion. But it was the first centerfire rifle I ever fired, and was passed to me when my dad died. It held immense sentimental value to me to take my lion with that old Marlin. The same marlin that shot a coke can with all those years ago. Strange how the older we get the more small little things mean so much. I don't understand the "gross factor" on lion meat at all. Ever seen a dirty cat? Even a house cat will sit around cleaning itself all day. Yet cows and pigs are filthy at both ends and covered in fly's in the middle. Nobody hesitates to eat beef or pork. It's nuts. Just cook it to 160 degrees same as chicken or pork and it's fine. Lion hunting is not like any other game animal in my opinion. Dogs howling, lions running and climbing trees, running up cliffs that I wouldn't run up if you told me there was money in a briefcase up there. My wife asked me "What was it like?" I replied, "Like getting chased by a pack of grizzly bears!"...….. We actually treed this guy twice. The first time he jumped out of the tree while my buddy was rounding up the hounds. Lion landed rite next to me. I mean RITE next to me, and took off. I think I peed a little, and the chase was back on. Miles later we got him treed again and I took the shot. It was insane. I still look at the GPS track of the hunt and shake my head. That's living rite there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.