Mt Lion rifle

Old thread but since it got bumped I have the same question but for a different cartridge. I have a Browning BLR in 308 Win. I reload so I could make whatever ammo. If that is a bad idea I'll have to buy something. Thoughts? Thank you.
A 125 NBT with Tac or H4895 at moderate speed and you'll be Golden

D9854EDF-B2C7-4911-94DA-9173E12287BB.jpeg

I used the 10mm to get my Northern Utah cat. He was treed by my buddies hounds and the shot(s) was 20 yards.

Attachments

• 6BA11297-3A38-4FC7-BBF0-1DFE77AB124E.jpeg
    6BA11297-3A38-4FC7-BBF0-1DFE77AB124E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
I have killed 3 and have been there for the taking of many others. My first was with a 17 HMR I got 3 in him before he jumped and he was dead very soon after he hit the ground. My second was with my 44-40 revolver. One perfectly mushroomed bullet right behind the shoulder and he was dead when he landed. The bullet was on the far side under the hide.

#3 for me was with a 22 magnum pistol. I put one behinf the shoulder and a second as he went out on the limb to jump. Shot 2 landed 3" from shot one. He ran 200 yards before he expired with dogs hot on his tail.

I think your 357 will be fine, use a soft hollow point bullet and put it in the crease just below center. But if I was to offer what I feel is the best rifle? That would be a light weight .223 with a ballistic tip 50 or 55gr bullets.

Jeff

I would imagine a nice light weight 6x45 with 55gr nosler bt's would work well also. Would love to do a hunt like this some day myself

I should have added to my post that 90% of my hunt was on snowmobiles and using a pistol was a big advantage for me. Using a rifle would have added a bunch of headaches for me packing it.

I should have added to my post that 90% of my hunt was on snowmobiles and using a pistol was a big advantage for me. Using a rifle would have added a bunch of headaches for me packing it.

What bullet did you use in your 10mm for the cat?

Forgot to ask are you running a factory Glock barrel or aftermarket? What kind of accuracy are you getting with that load?
Sorry I should have been more specific
The pistol used was the camo painted one.
It has a lone wolf barrel in it. I gave it to my son after I got the other one made for me.
So yes it's a aftermarket barrel.
Accuracy was very good. My son shoots it better than I did.

I always carry my ruger single six .30 carbine cal , when horse back moving cows in the mountains , I don't remember how many I have shot over the past 40 years , I know this year I have shot 14 coyote

I use my 6.5 Grendel, but I call so shots could be a bit further. Shot 3 cougars calling so far with it, none went more then 20-25 yards all heart/lung shots and all were inside 50 yards. I built this Grendel specifically for calling cougars. I run reloads 85gr Sierra Varmiter HP at 2650fps. It has a 16in barrel and I usually run my suppressor.

Growing up as a kid shot lots of Raccoons and Bobcats over hounds with 22LR predominantly head shots, trying to save hides.