Mt. Bound

jcoop

I just found out I drew my Mt deer tag. I have never hunted Mt and have always wanted too. I am really excited. We will be hunting Fort Peck reservoir out of hells creek (from a boat). Anyone ever hunted this area? Anyone else draw? Sorry I'm just real excited.

born and raised on ft.peck lake. good area, but heavily hunted around the lake area proper. use the boat to get to a good inlet and then climb up one of the high points in the "breaks",and spot and stalk. shoots can be looooong sometimes, and very close at times. look at several deer before you choose, as there are many,many great looking 3 and 4 points that are still imature. I hunted elk 2 yrs. ago on the other side of the lake, and saw several deer that should be excellent size this year. be aware of the CMR refuge closure dates, as they are sometimes different from Mt. state dates. Good luck

Thanks MT bullett.
We will be going opening weekend and hunting and camping across and down the lake from Hells creek. I here you will see lots of deer but to get away from the lake a bit for anything decent. I was just looking at the CMR dates and it looks like we are OK. Thanks.

I've hunted the Hell Creek area and other places in the Breaks. It will take some patience and get away from the rest of the hunters. There are no guarantees on a big buck period... but there are some around... and they don't get big by being stupid... think about it.

Depending on the weather, your experience can be good or it can be hell, so best to go into it with that attitude up front. Your temps can be anywhere from from sub-zero to 70... dry, wet or frozen. Winds can sometimes be up to 40-50-60 mph. If it's wet, you'll learn what gumbo is and it will make you wish you were back home.

Now, I'm gonna give you some good advise if you're looking for a good buck. Hunt the last week of the season when they're in rut. Take it or leave it. Last year (2010), the last week of the season was snowy, windy, with sub zero temps.

There's a reason Montana is such a great place with so few people.

Thanks MR
I would love to hunt the rut but it interferes with my elk season here in WA. Hunting the rut is what everyone has told me, so I'm betting it is good advice.

I'm not counting on a huge buck but would like to not feel the need to shoot the first 3 point I see. My boss has been hunting the area for quit a few years and he says the gumbo sucks. He also said if you are willing to walk a bit you can get away from people.

We will be in 631 and 632 very close to 652. I called a friend that lives in fort peck and they said it should still be OK although the winter was pretty bad. I was really worried until I talked to them.
I'm still a little worried about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.