MT antelope 181g Hammer

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Went and helped my Uncle get his antelope this weekend. As in any hunt the possibility of a not so good shot happens. So we did not get the nice double lung shot that I wanted to see for terminal performance data. We got data none the less.

Spotted a nice herd across a drainage that had willows in the bottom. Made for a great sneak through the willows to get to a good firing point. After the sneak we got to 300y of the heard. Got my Uncle set up and he picked out a nice buck to shoot. Made the shot and buck was quartered toward him more than he thought. Hit the buck behind the shoulder and exited in front of the far hip. Missed the pump house and made a bit of a mess of the guts. Good news the buck did not travel after the shot at all. Was dead within seconds. Caliber entrance with 2" exit or so. Buck measured 14" and pretty heavy. Here is a pic with me and my Uncle and a couple of the entrance and exit.

Steve

'16 KD ant.jpg

entrance.jpeg
Entrance. Looks like a petal went out low.

exit.jpeg
Exit. The large hole just in front of the hip. Appears that another petal exited up in the rib area.

Forgot to mention that he is using a Browning 30-06.

Fed 215 primer, H4350 57g, 3.29" oal, 2825fps, Hammer Hunter 181g.

This is top end be careful.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.