MRAD vs MOA

darrindlh

Which do you prefer and why? MRAD or MOA? I am looking at buying a new scope for my taticle 300 wm. All opinions are welcome. Thanks

Darrin

First off you said "tactical", if this is going to be a compitition rig for tactical matches I would go mil. The tactical guys speak mills, range mills, and when shooting in teams corrections are called on mills.

That said, I like moa for hunting. I have the npr2 nightforce and it is great to call correction to some one that has moa knobs, which is what most scopes have!

The reasonfor the differing opinion, I have that scope on my hunting gun then it moves to my tactical comp gun. I am shooting a team match here shortly, and he is a strictly tactical guy. He runs mil mil knobs and reticle. It makes communication more difficult. He calls .5 mil and I have to do the math in my head to switch to moa. It's not hard just a little confusing.

So get what fits your game, hunting or tactical comp. By the way most shooting instructors in tactical settings teach mil.

Hope this did not confuse you more

Thank you for the reply. I understand. I want to get into the tatical matches. I also want to hunt at extended ranges. Another reason I am interested is bc if my range finder fails me I have a way to range a target.
Darrin

Last edited:
I prefer MOA. It is a finer measurement, and it is easier for me to use.
Competing in most tac matches won't be a problem using MOA, as long as you understand how to use. Of course if you have a teammate you both need to be on the same base

Ernie,
Could you please explain to me so that I can understand that moa is a finer adjustment. I was under the impression that mrad was finer. moa gets .25 at 100 and mrad get .10 at 100 is that right?

Darrin

Ernie,
Could you please explain to me so that I can understand that moa is a finer adjustment. I was under the impression that mrad was finer. moa gets .25 at 100 and mrad get .10 at 100 is that right?

Darrin

One m.o.a. at 100 yards = 1.047 and change inches.

One MIL at 100 yards = .10 yard or 3.6 inches.

James

One m.o.a. at 100 yards = 1.047 and change inches.

One MIL at 100 yards = .10 yard or 3.6 inches.

James

correct but i got to add that a 1/10 mrad adjustable scope is also 3.6"/10 or .36" per click @ 100 yards this is why a minute of angle scope has a finer adjustment being .25" at 100 yrds

This is something I've wandered about for a while, say someone says to hold 1 mil at 500yds that would be 3.5 moa right or I'm I looking at it bass akwards.

-Nathan

Last edited:
@ 100 yards this is why a minute of angle scope has a finer adjustment being .25" at 100 yrds

Actually you are talking a 1/4 minute click scope. While absulutely unnecessary for hunting I prefer a 1/8 minute click scope or .13 (and change) inches per click @ 100 yds.

James

I got it. Thanks, so I guess best of both worlds a mildot reticle with Moa adjustments.
Darrin
No. Life will be much easier if the reticle matches the knobs. If you feel you need the finer .25 MOA adjustments, getting a scope with an MOA reticle will make you much happier. Conversely, if you want a mil reticle, it makes no sense to get MOA knobs. Of course there are some scopes with .05 Mil knobs out there which are finer than .25 MOA (Leupold, some Zeiss). I have little interest in such fine adjustments (much like 1/8 MOA) but if you really want them you can find them.

I'm confused. It seems to me that it matters if one has a 1st or 2nd focal plane scope . If you are in 1 st focal your mil reading remains the same. For the rest of us who can only afford 2nd focal plane scopes it changes. 2nd focal plane only works at its max power. At 500 yds , wouldn't you be 18" ?

Jon A, you are right. After my post I saw how what a dumb comment I made. I am very interested in the new vortex viper scopes with first focal plane moa reticles and mrad reticles. They look very good. But who knows
Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.