MRAD vs MOA. Which one?

Right. That was my whole debacle with choosing between the two. MRAD would get me more distance with one rev. But the Strike Eagle has 25 MOA per rev and a second set of numbers above for your second rev. So I think it'll do. Plus, if I buy and MOA scope and end up needing MRAD to compete, I guess I get to buy another scope 😃
Why not use the reticle? You don't need to use any rev if you hold.

I guess I grew into LR shooting with turrets and a duplex reticle, knowing distance and target size, i could and still can figure and make corrections right now in moa in my empty head.
I hope I did not confuse the situation, I do more than fine with a mil reticle, and am fine with the switch.
I was more or less saying, shoot what the people you hang around with shoot, easier.
My elr rifle has an moa scope, as does my go to AR15, 1-8 LPVO
Another duplex reticle guy. that is what I used for years. Know what square area the reticle covers and a little Kentucky windage and your are good for a few hundred yards

I've been shooting long range for about 5 years now and all my experience is with MOA. However, I'm looking at a new optic and wonder if I shouldn't give MRAD a try. The scope does 25 MOA per revolution or 10 MILs. So with the rifle it will be mounted on that's 1,075 yards on one revolution with MOA or 1,300 yards with MILs. This will be primarily for hunting but I do have ambitions of trying my hand at some PRS in the future and may bounce this scope between rifles. So has anyone tried both and what are your thoughts?
If after all the input this question will garner, you still can't decide between MIL/MOA, then buy a Leupold Mark 4 scope. They had MIL reticles with MOA turrets. What the Hell was Leupold thinking???? And, of course, our Government thought that was a great idea for our warriors and bought 'em like M&Ms. Leupold has discontinued them for civilians, but Uncle Sugar can still buy them. :) :) :)

Why not use the reticle? You don't need to use any rev if you hold.
Different strokes for different folks. I prefer to dial and hold wind
Another duplex reticle guy. that is what I used for years. Know what square area the reticle covers and a little Kentucky windage and your are good for a few hundred yards
I'm currently using a duplex on my 7mm right now. Problem is, I choose to hunt and especially target shoot well beyond a few hundred yards. So I need hash marks for wind holds

If after all the input this question will garner, you still can't decide between MIL/MOA, then buy a Leupold Mark 4 scope. They had MIL reticles with MOA turrets. What the Hell was Leupold thinking???? And, of course, our Government thought that was a great idea for our warriors and bought 'em like M&Ms. Leupold has discontinued them for civilians, but Uncle Sugar can still buy them. :) :) :)
I still have one from back in 1991 when I got back from the Army lol. After playing with a SWFA 10X mil/mil I got confused while dialing lol. I think for the first time in 29 years.

I'd say it depends on your discipline more than anything. Tactical crowd seems to heavily prefer MRAD, paper crowd seems to like MOA (although I know almost nothing about F-class and similar, but there may be some MRAD there too). So if you're thinking of shooting some PRS I'd recommend you find an MRAD scope. If you have spotter help every time you miss they'll be saying stuff like, "you were left about three tenths" and you'll have to either convert in your head or spot your own miss. I have MOA scopes, but when I shoot a match it's tactical, so my scopes moving forward will be MRAD.

Another nice thing about MRAD, is the scopes tend to come in 10mrad per revolution, vs 15 MOA per rev. So if you're shooting far enough to do more than one revolution, it's nice (not critical granted) to have the last digit of your dope line up with what you dial. For example, if you have to dial 27 MOA, your turret is on the 12. In a time limited engagement this is a challenge. Vs 10 mrad scope where if you have to dial 12mrad, your turret is on the 2. Even worse than a 15moa per rev scope is something like a 12moa per rev scope (had one of those once). Again if you're under 1 revolution none of that really matters. You can always mark your turrets with the next rev numbers too, which helps.
My Vortex is 10 MOA/rev

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer to dial and hold wind

I'm currently using a duplex on my 7mm right now. Problem is, I choose to hunt and especially target shoot well beyond a few hundred yards. So I need hash marks for wind holds

My point being then, it's not REALLY about speed for you. People who compete...like me...do what is more competitive, not what strokes folks. Worry about revs is to worry about speed. If it wasn't then you would just spin turret then count the offset of the rev and no big deal, have your solutions and dial and fire.

But you're on a time limit, you'll have say two target, say 615y 10inch target and 502y 6inch target. There will be the stage rules, usually something like 2 minutes and 10 rounds. Stage rules might be shoot of left barricade at at 502 the bounce to right barricade to 615, transitioning to each one for each shot or something stupid like that.

I don't think you would want to be dialing up and down while running left and right taking shots.
For hunting, ranges, etc, yes. I agree and have no problem saying dialing and holding wind is good enough. I think before you decide to get a "PRS" scope, take a look at some matches and see how people communicate and how to prepare. This isn't that type of forum, so people are going to talk about what "they like" for what they do. Or what they heard about "what PRS people do." Very single minded.

My point being then, it's not REALLY about speed for you. People who compete...like me...do what is more competitive, not what strokes folks. Worry about revs is to worry about speed. If it wasn't then you would just spin turret then count the offset of the rev and no big deal, have your solutions and dial and fire.

But you're on a time limit, you'll have say two target, say 615y 10inch target and 502y 6inch target. There will be the stage rules, usually something like 2 minutes and 10 rounds. Stage rules might be shoot of left barricade at at 502 the bounce to right barricade to 615, transitioning to each one for each shot or something stupid like that.

I don't think you would want to be dialing up and down while running left and right taking shots.
For hunting, ranges, etc, yes. I agree and have no problem saying dialing and holding wind is good enough. I think before you decide to get a "PRS" scope, take a look at some matches and see how people communicate and how to prepare. This isn't that type of forum, so people are going to talk about what "they like" for what they do. Or what they heard about "what PRS people do." Very single minded.
Well you might have just made a mistake and made yourself my go-to guy when that day comes lol. My thought on revs was just distance achieved per rev, not speed but just for simplicity. But I definitely hear what you're saying and it makes perfect sense

Well you might have just made a mistake and made yourself my go-to guy when that day comes lol. My thought on revs was just distance achieved per rev, not speed but just for simplicity. But I definitely hear what you're saying and it makes perfect sense
Sure. I'm on here, and the hide.

I've been shooting long range for about 5 years now and all my experience is with MOA. However, I'm looking at a new optic and wonder if I shouldn't give MRAD a try. The scope does 25 MOA per revolution or 10 MILs. So with the rifle it will be mounted on that's 1,075 yards on one revolution with MOA or 1,300 yards with MILs. This will be primarily for hunting but I do have ambitions of trying my hand at some PRS in the future and may bounce this scope between rifles. So has anyone tried both and what are your thoughts?
I have for 30 years used inches, then MOA, Now everything is MRAD..... Less dialing far quicker response...just me!

A lot of people really like the strike eagle and use it for competition but I haven't heard how it does as a hunting scope. There were 2 at the nrl22 match I shot last month but I didn't get a chance to look through them. Looking forward to hearing how it does in low light because that's a lot different from a match that goes from 9 to noon in June.

A lot of people really like the strike eagle and use it for competition but I haven't heard how it does as a hunting scope. There were 2 at the nrl22 match I shot last month but I didn't get a chance to look through them. Looking forward to hearing how it does in low light because that's a lot different from a match that goes from 9 to noon in June.
I'll be sure to add that to the list of things to report on. I'll do a low light observation at dusk I suppose

I will try MRAD in the future. Definitely. But for now, it's gonna remain MOA. I barely got a GED so simple math based in inches is gonna be my cup of tea for a bit 😀

We're like twins. I received my GED when I was fifty-one. That was twenty-five years ago. I have not used it for anything except conversation, but....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.